As an acne sufferer you would have probably been part of the Proactiv Media Buzz. But aren’t we all too tired?
Sounds like there’s much place for some other solution to fit in.
If Proactiv has well-suited your acne-prone skin then that’s amazing but in case it hasn’t you can consider Rodan and Fields Unblemish Acne Treatment as your savior. After all, Unblemish is the pristine solution for acne after Proactiv.
Following Rodan & Fields Unblemish Reviews will help you figure out if this acne treatment is going to work wonders for you or turn downright miserable.
Not to forget, both Unblemish and Proactiv are developed by the same dermatologists. If Proactiv was part of your skincare regimen, then the name Rodan and Fields wouldn’t be new to you.
However, it is always beneficial to know the brand history of the skincare products you use especially when your skin is prone to pesky pimples.
| #1 - Unblemish Acne Treatment Sulfur Wash || Best For:Combination to Oily Skin||5.0 stars out of 5|
| #2 - Unblemish Clarifying Toner || Active Ingredient(s): Benzoyl Peroxide (5%)||4.5 stars out of 5|
| #3 - Unblemish Dual Intensive Acne Treatment || Suitable for: Normal to Oily Skins||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- Rodan & Fields: The Makers of Unblemish
- Rodan and Fields Unblemish Solution: General Overview
- What Components does Unblemish Treatment Offers You?
- How Can You Make the Whole Treatment More Effective?
- UnBlemish or Proactiv: A Brief Comparison
Rodan & Fields: The Makers of Unblemish
Rodan & Fields is a USA based skincare products’ manufacturer established by the Stanford University dermatologists: Dr. Katie Rodan and Dr. Kathy Fields. They are the makers of Proactiv & Proactiv Plus for acne.
Since 2002 till today, their skincare products are sold in over 180 countries and they are claimed to provide the best acne treatment products.
Behind the inevitable success of Rodan and Fields were the hard work, determination and passion of Katie and Kathy whose main objective was to bring the ultimate solution for acne sufferers.
To sum up, it is the number one fastest-growing Beauty and Personal Care brand in the U.S in 2019. And there’s way more to go. They have redefined the future of skincare with a high-tech business model and looking forward with the same momentum to change the life of consumers globally.
Rodan and Fields Unblemish Solution: General Overview
Rodan and Fields Unblemish Provides Combination Therapy
Rodan + Fields is generally known for providing combination therapy. Combination therapy is when you use more than one component for blemish treatment rather than a single component.
Remember Proactiv? That’s a 3-step Acne Treatment System hence, it comprised multiple components. Unblemish offers the same multi-component treatment which in other words is called Combination Therapy.
How Does it Work?
Rodan and Fields Unblemish Solution takes control of adult acne. It prevents the formation of blackheads and pesky pimples from root as it is designed to combat each stage of the acne formation along with the help of a separate component.
The Unblemish Regimen includes a cleanser, toner and moisturizer that work together to eliminate your existing acne and prevent future break outs. Once you’re over with exfoliating your skin, this kit provides an acne medication that cures your acne through a two way formula.
Exfoliation before the application of acne treatment cream forces you to start your acne treatment from scratch. The moisturizing lotion afterwards provides hydration to your skin that might have been lost due to the drying effect of the cleanser and medicine.
In the next section, we are going to discuss the components of Rodan and Fields Unblemish Treatment.
What Components does Unblemish Treatment Offers You?
Since we are enlisting all the components the Unblemish Solution is comprised of, make sure you dig deep into the Rodan and Fields Unblemish ingredients and check out for any ingredients that have proven miraculous for your skin or a complete disaster in the past.
The Unblemish Regimen includes the following steps:
The Unblemish Sulfur Wash is a light-weight formula that acts as a cleanser. Sulfur is the main ingredient used and it is considered as a topical disinfectant for battling blemishes and breakouts. Using Unblemish Sulfur Wash is the first step in this anti-acne regimen.
Active Ingredient(s): Sulfur (3%)
- As Sulfur is a disinfectant, it removes all the thriving P.acnes bacteria from your skin reducing chances of acne.
- Dead cells are scraped off from the skin and there are less chances of oil build up.
- Contains Glycerin that prevents oiliness and calms your irritated skin affected by acne marks and cystic acne.
- Aloe Vera Extracts provide antibacterial properties and heal any inflammation present.
- Clears out all the blackheads and whiteheads diminishing your pores.
- Good for all kinds of acne especially hormonal acne.
- Caters to the need of all ages, not specifically for teenagers or adults.
- The presence of botanical extracts helps neutralize the strong effect of sulfur alongside giving anti-bacterial properties.
- Prepares skin for further treatment.
- Has traces of alcohol and can irritate your sensitive skin.
- Does not clear your skin if you suffer from hyperpigmentation i.e. uneven skin.
- Contains lubricating agent, Titanium dioxide, which can clog pores and also cause inflammation if you have sensitive skin.
- Needs to be applied with care avoiding the eyes as eye irritation is a risk.
- Combination Skins should watch out for their frequency of use as the presence of Sulfur can make it drying and they might break out as a result.
- Peeling can occur during initial use.
- Dampen skin with luke warm water.
- Dab a quarter-sized amount onto your skin.
- Massage gently with finger tips (avoiding the eye area) for 1-2 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
- Use once daily and increase to twice gradually. (Note: Watch out for your frequency.Keep it once daily if it is drying your skin.)
A toner’s primary job is to cleanse the impurities lingering on your skin even after washing your skin with a cleanser. Cutting long story short, toners do these three things:
- Hydrates and replenishes skin that might have been dried after cleansing
- Provides additional cleansing
- Nourishes your skin with essential ingredients
Rodan and Fields Unblemish Clarifying Toner is step no. 2 in your acne care regimen. After the Sulfur Wash, your skin becomes prepared for further clarification. This toner has liquid like consistency and acts as a skin lightening agent as it removes the brown pigment discolorations and leaves your acne-prone skin soft and supple.
Main Ingredients: Witch Hazel and Glycolic Acid
- Witch Hazel Extract functions as an astringent and removes excess oil from skin.
- The Glycolic Acid inhibits the growth of P.acnes bacteria and exfoliates the skin which unclogs pores.
- For combination and oily skins, this toner reduces excess oil and enlarged pores.
- For normal, dry and sensitive skins, this clarifying toner diminishes redness and flaking.
- Has added collagen (skin protein that helps boost your skin texture) that gives your skin a clearing glow.
- It soothes your skin as it consists of Panthenol which reduces itching and inflammation. It is also readily absorbed by the skin.
- Contains Aloe Vera Extracts that provide anti-bacterial, antimicrobial and healing properties.
- Various leaf extracts make this formula gentle for sensitive skin.
- The presence of botanical extracts makes it rich in anti-oxidants that are vital for your skin.
- Combats aging and restores the water level of your skin.
- Balances and maintains the right pH level for your skin to eliminate acne.
- It is easy to apply and readily absorbs into skin.
- Does not contain alcohol and parabens.
- Many of the botanical extracts can cause irritation such as witch hazel. If you have suffered allergy to witch hazel previously or if your skin is sensitive to witch hazel then avoid using this toner.
- The claim of maintaining the right pH balance is a bit over exaggerated
- Apply evenly on your face with the help of a gauze pad or cotton swabs.
- Do not rinse off and let the toner dry.
- Apply once regularly. Increase the frequency to twice a day.
Blemish Dual Intensive Acne Treatment Cream works as a medication for acne treatment as it contains Benzoyl Peroxide. Benzoyl Peroxide is long known to be a great over-the-counter medication to treat acne breakouts.
Once you’re done with cleansing your skin with a toner, the third step includes the application of Dual intensive Acne Cream. But you need to make sure that you are giving small breaks in between the two applications. Since, you won’t be rinsing off the toner, you need to be careful that you do not overstuff your skin with the cream application especially if you have an oily skin.
Active Ingredient(s): Benzoyl Peroxide (5%)
- The active ingredient Benzoyl Peroxide is effective for all types of acne lesions such as blackheads, whiteheads, pimples and cystic acne.
- Has the power as that of an antibiotic resistance and it is bactericidal, which means that it kills bacteria rather than slowing down its growth.
- Heals all the post acne marks and inflammation as it contains Allantoin which holds anti-inflammatory properties.
- Aloe Vera traces prevent the skin from acne-causing bacteria invasion.
- Its thin consistency ensures the clearance of your pores and lets your skin breathe.
- Comes in a two way chamber bottle which is designed to provide two different formulas at a time. One chamber pumps Benzoyl Peroxide and other pumps penetration gel that helps the Benzoyl Peroxide in absorbing into your skin.
- Contains traces of alcohol. Alcohol is required for treating acne but can cause rash on sensitive skins or to those who have faced adverse reactions in the past.
- Treats acne but does not control oil production.
- Might cause peeling or drying of skin.
- Cleanse your skin well before applying this lotion.
- Dispense 1-2 pumps from each chamber and blend well. (Take 1 pump from each if you have oily skin and two pumps if you have dry skin.)
- Apply evenly over the entire face.
- Do not rinse off.
- Use once daily and gradually, increase the use to twice a day. If excessive drying occurs, reduce the frequency to one.
Unblemish Oil Control Lotion is the last step of the Unblemish purging state that helps you get rid of all impurities that are potential threats to your skin. Oil Control Lotion ensures that your pores are clear and less sebum is produced. The chances of whiteheads and blackheads automatically reduce when there is less sebum production.
Active Ingredient(s): Titanium dioxide and Zinc Oxide
- This lotion is SPF 20 and serves as a good daytime moisturizer that provides sunscreen properties as well.
- Has been formulated with Titanium dioxide which makes it a silky, lightweight base that sets a smooth matte finish.
- Zinc Oxide, the active ingredient soothes inflammation and redness while protecting your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Dries out excessive oil production that prevents future breakouts.
- Dimethicone, a skin conditioning agent, is also a constituent that boosts skin collagen, stimulates skin renewal and gives perfect skin texture.
- Keeps skin protected from sun exposure that allows faster healing of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation from acne.
- The sunscreen property only works if you spend no more than 3-4 hours in sunlight as the SPF 20 is a lower option and does not completely act as a sun block.
- Contains alcohol which might be dangerous for your blemish-prone skin.
- This formula contains drying elements that are not suitable for dry skins.
- Apply dime-sized amount evenly on your face every morning.
- Avoid using if you have dry skin.
How Can You Make the Whole Treatment More Effective?
All the components of Unblemish Treatment serve a different purpose as discussed in detail above. You are now fully aware of the ingredients and you’ll definitely know if they suit your skin type or not. You are possibly aware of the ingredients that have caused adverse reactions to you in the past and how your skin reacts to certain ingredients specifically.
But is that knowledge adequate enough? You might think it is, but you are just befooling yourself!
The real question is that what frequency and timing of application you should adopt. Since, each individual suffering from acne has different intensity of acne arising from several different causes, the frequency of application for each sufferer is different.
How Will You Find the Right Frequency for Yourself?
A single Unblemish Kit usually lasts 60 days. What needs to be understood by this is that this treatment is not going to be a ‘one-day miracle’. You need to be really patient and work out your frequency. Anyone must wait for a week to see their skin improving and acne diminishing.
Below is a list of factors that you need to keep in mind while tuning into your application frequency:
- Your skin type (dry, normal, oily)
- How frequent your acne is? (Occasional, frequent, every now and then)
- What kind of acne you’re suffering from? (whiteheads/blackheads, pimples, blemishes, cystic acne )
- If you faced any allergic reaction after few applications?
- How much time you spend outdoor?
What are the Right Timings of Application for each Component?
Since each formula of the Unblemish kit is designed for a different purpose, you need to be precise about the right timings you should apply them in order to have visible results. Not using the products step by step or not using them at the appropriate timings can lead to horrible results.
Below is your guide to the perfect timings of applications for each component:
- Acne Treatment Sulfur Wash: Use in early morning as it exfoliates your skin giving you a fresh start. Apply before bed time so that you get rid of all the impurities that might be lingering on your face throughout the day. You can also use it once you return home after a long work day.
- Clarifying Toner: Must be applied after using Sulfur Wash. Can be applied in the morning or at night.
- Dual Intensive Acne Treatment Cream: Must be applied after cleansing. Night application is more suitable because you do not have to rinse it off. Moreover, it acts as a medicine and should be left on skin for some time. When you apply it before bedtime, you allow the medicine to completely absorb into your skin.
- Oil Control Lotion: Needs to be applied before going out at daytime due to its sunscreen properties. It’s better to apply it in morning after you’re done with all three steps.
UnBlemish or Proactiv: A Brief Comparison
Moving on to the Unblemish vs Proactiv debate, the most important factor to be kept in mind is that your skin responds differently to different products. And any product that works wonders for one might prove complete disaster for the other.
Proactive provides a 3-step regimen while Unblemish gives you a 4-step treatment. The minute difference is that Proactiv repairs the acne-affected skin eliminating the breakouts while Unblemish is a comprehensive solution.
Unblemish comes with an added SPF protection and combats the whole acne cycle- clogged pores, oiliness, bacteria proliferation, hyper-pigmentation and inflammation. Besides, there is a substantial difference in the ingredients where Proactiv mainly uses Benzoyl Peroxide and Unblemish uses a range of other ingredients including Sulfur, Benzoyl Peroxide and Zinc Oxide.
Furthermore, both Proactiv and Unblemish are pricey. Comparatively, Unblemish is more costly but effective. If Proactiv has not been your savior from painful acne then you must try Unblemish Solution. You never know what turns out well for your skin!