20 Best Toners and Astringents for Acne-Prone Skin
Table of Contents
- 20 Best Toners and Astringents for Acne-Prone Skin
- Top 3 – Editor’s Picks
- #1 – Misumi Pore Purifying Toner
- #2 – Christina Moss Naturals Organic Facial Toner
- #3 – Exposed Clearing Tonic
- Side effects of Astringents
- How to Use an Astringent?
- 20+ Best Toners for Acne Prone Skin
- 1. Misumi Pore Purifying Toner
- 2. Christina Moss Naturals Organic Facial Toner
- 3. Exposed Clearing Tonic
- 4. Super C-22 Toner
- 5. Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel Alcohol-free Toner
- 6. Neutrogena Rapid Clear 2-in-1 Fight & Fade Toner
- 7. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Clarifying Solution Facial Toner
- 8. Murad Clarifying Toner
- 9. Alba Botanica Acnedote, Deep Clean Astringent
- 10. GLYTONE Acne Clearing Toner
- 11. Biore Blemish Treating Astringent
- 12. Mary Kay Clear Proof Blemish/Shine Control Toner
- 13. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Micro-Exfoliating Astringent Facial Toner
- 14. YEOUTH Facial Toner, Hydrating Face Toner
- 15. Clean & Clear Brand’s Essentials Deep Cleaning Astringent
- 16. TreeActiv Balancing Herbal Toner
- 17. NeutrogenaClear Pore Oil Eliminating Astringent
- 18. Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner
- 19. Burt’s Bees Natural Acne Solutions Clarifying Toner
- 20. Clear n Smooth Pore Cleansing Toner
- New Addition 1: Ocean Mineral Toner
- New Addition 2: Retseliney Acne Facial Toner & Oil Control
- 23. Repechage Hydra Medic Astringent
- Your Thoughts?
We all wish for beautiful skin that radiates health and a glow that is admired by friends and family. Unfortunately, if you have skin that is prone to acne, open pores, blackheads and pimples, then that wish can become a very distant reality.
It mostly boils down to an issue of oily or sensitive skin. In either case, a build-up of oil and exposure to environmental factors can quickly cause pores to block. This will create the perfect breeding ground for bacteria that are the main cause for the common inflammations you see with acne.
Adding a toner or astringent to your daily regimen offers great protection from these unwanted breakouts.
With the right toner you can very gently remove impurities and oils from your skin. It’s even more gentle than the most pH neutral soaps you’ll find.
The result is clean pores that are less susceptible to becoming clogged. But the important thing is that you have to find the right products for your skin type. And that’s exactly what you will find on this page.
Top 3 – Editor’s Picks
If you’re in a rush, below are the top 3 best Toners and Astringents for Acne-Prone Skin.
#1 – Misumi Pore Purifying Toner
- Unclogs and tightens pores
- Natural, high quality ingredients
- Reduces blackheads and whiteheads
5.0 stars out of 5
#2 – Christina Moss Naturals Organic Facial Toner
- 100% natural ingredients.
- Removes the excess oil.
- Infused with anti-aging.
4.5 stars out of 5
#3 – Exposed Clearing Tonic
- Leaving your skin clear, acne free.
- Kills acne-causing bacteria.
- Free from parabens.
4.0 stars out of 5
Does a Toner for Acne Prone Skin Work?
How Astringents Differ from Toners?
Astringents are liquid formulas that help cleanse skin, control oiliness and tightens pores. Usually an astringent is applied after cleansing and before moisturizing. Astringents specifically eliminate bacteria and removes traces of makeup.
Most of the astringents contain isopropyl alcohol, which is the reason why astringents can sometimes be overly drying. However, you can find natural astringents that are comprised of herbal and botanical extracts. And there are even certain alcohol-free options present.
In case you have dry or sensitive skin you should at all costs avoid using an astringent. Anyhow, if you an oily or combination skin it can work wonders for you.
A toner is quite similar to astringents. It carries out the same function and helps remove any impurities lingering on the skin. Where an astringent is used for oily and acne-prone skin, a toner can be used on a large number of skin types including, dry, combination and sensitive.
Why Toners Might Be the Better Option?
Since astringents make use of alcohol, they are losing the favor from dermatologists as they now recommend using alcohol-free products. Unlike astringents, toners efficiently balance the pH levels of your skin.
Even people with normal skin find astringents to be excessively drying. They cause dry patches, flaky and scaly skin and is worse for people with severe acne.
Your skin needs a certain moisture level which is killed by astringents. Kate further says, “The problem is, you need some oils for healthy skin.”
What Are the Ingredients Involved?
Whether you consider a toner or an astringent for your skin care regimen, you need to keep in mind their composition. Knowing the nature of ingredients, you can better decide how your skin will respond to a toner or astringent.
Several kinds of astringents and toners are available in the market. And they have different ingredients involved. However, there are some common ingredients that are present in majority of toners and astringents.
Unlike astringents, toners usually include multiple ingredients that neutralize the effect of any powerful exfoliating agents present. A toner typically contains the following ingredients:
- Salicylic acid: A kind of Beta hydroxy acid that exfoliates skin by accelerating the cell turnover process. It is commonly known for treating acne and emerges as the top acne-cleansing agent.
- Lactic acid: A kind of Alpha hydroxy acid that specifically combats hyperpigmentation and age spots. Besides, it also provides mild peeling effect that gives you a brighter skin.
- Glycolic acid: Also, a type of Alpha hydroxy acid. But has strong peeling effect and is used as an active ingredient for many OTC products for acne. Not good for sensitive skin.
- Hyaluronic acid: This serves as a hydrating agent for your skin. It holds certain anti-inflammatory qualities and is best for sensitive skin. Being a moisturizing agent, it also helps eliminate fine lines and wrinkles.
- Glycerin: It works as an emollient and balances the moisture level of the skin. Alongside that it provides anti-bacterial properties that helps you get rid of clogged pores and also soothes your skin from effects of acne.
- Rose Water: Maintains skin’s pH balance and controls oiliness. Has strong anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce irritation, redness and itching. So, it effectively neutralizes the high concentrations of acids that tend to dry out your skin.
- Witch Hazel: A kind of shrub that acts as a remedy for various skin ailments. It fights irritation and all sorts of inflammation. Ideal for treating acne but can show reverse effects in some cases and cause worse break outs. So, you should know how your skin reacts to it.
Astringents, on the other hand, contain very few ingredients out of which most include salicylic acid and witch hazel extracts. The only constituents that differ are:
- Alcohol: Usually added to give products a quick drying effect. And works great for oily skin. However, they can be extremely drying at times and can cause allergic reactions including severe burns. Avoid SD alcohol or denatured alcohol which is also known as isopropyl alcohol.
There alcohols known as fatty alcohols and they do not harm skin. Look for labels that read cetyl, stearyl and cetearyl alcohol as they do not pose threat to your acne-prone skin.
- Citric acid: Sloughs off dead skin cells and boost collagen. Promotes new skin growth that defies signs of aging. It also brightens skin due to its exfoliating quality.
Reasons Why You Should Use a Toner or an Astringent
The only thing standing between you and your flawless skin might be the absence of a toner. So why take the risk?
You are well-aware of your skin’s need being an acne sufferer and want to go at any length to achieve a clear skin. Now that you are familiar with what these products do, we are just diving into a detailed insight as to why you should use them.
Astringents Tighten Your Skin
The astringent family mainly comprises of alcohol, apple cider vinegar and witch hazel. When these substances are applied directly onto skin, they instantly tighten your skin. However, when these ingredients are used in strong concentrations, they can cause excessive drying.
To reduce their intensity, these ingredients come as one beauty product called astringents. Astringents are a great option for people with oily and non-sensitive skin.
Astringents Remove Excess Oil and Grime
They have been marked as an effective part of skincare regimen especially because of their ability to cut off unnecessary oil. However, you need to be careful about the alcohol composition in an astringent.
Skin experts recommend using astringents but some do not as alcohol has the ability to strip off natural oils from your skin. So, use it only if you feel that a good cleanser is not working enough to reduce oiliness on your face.
Use an astringent that includes fatty alcohols rather than volatile alcohols.
Astringents and Toners Shrink Pores
Do you have enlarged pores that are difficult to conceal? If you have tried on a number of cleansers and things still don’t work, try a toner. Astringents and toners contract pores and skin tissues.
Applying a minute amount of toner with the help of a cotton wool will minimize the appearance of your pores. All you have to do is just gently wipe your face with toner-soaked wool.
Toner Restores Skin’s pH Balance
Alkaline soaps disrupt your skin’s natural pH levels. In such a situation your skin needs to work more in order to retain that natural pH balance back.
Our skin is naturally acidic, with a pH of 5-6 on a scale of 0-14. When an imbalance is caused, you can use a toner to balance the pH level of skin. And it works instantly.
Toners Prevent Ingrown Hairs
Grooming is an important part of hygiene and skincare routine. And when you don’t exfoliate correctly, ingrown hair inevitably appear. Toners that contain Glycolic acid or other Alpha hydroxy acids help prevent ingrown hairs.
Glycolic acid helps in cell turnover process and skin regeneration due to which the hair follicles also uphold hairs properly and push them to the surface once the skin is dead.
Toners Rejuvenates Your Skin
Since toners are brewed with anti-oxidant holding rich botanical extracts, they have great tendency to revitalize your skin.
They act as humectants and preserve moisture in your skin. It also adds a barrier to your skin which protects you from environmental contaminants.
Side effects of Astringents
Astringents have few side effects but they can be serious ones. Following are some of the side effects:
- Astringents are harmful for dry and acne-prone skin as they cause more break outs and lead to peeling and redness in severe cases.
- Alcohol-based astringents are not good for sensitive skin or for someone who suffers from eczema or rosacea.
- They need to be followed up by a sunscreen.
- Astringents do not moisturize your skin or provide hydrating effects.
How to Use an Astringent?
Astringent is usually applied after cleansing and before using a moisturizer. Since, it has a drying effect, you should use it only once a day, either in the morning or evening. Anyhow, if you have extremely oily skin, you can use twice a day.
How to Apply?
- Cleanse your face properly with a mild cleanser and pat dry.
- Just dap a drop of astringent on a cotton wool or pad.
- In a dabbing style, only spot treat the oily regions on your face. You do not need to rinse it off.
- Follow up with a moisturizer and a sun screen.
You might experience slight tingling sensation, which is quite normal. Anyhow, if your face feels hot, red or irritated then discontinue use.
Toners help in clearing acne because usually different toners and astringents contain Salicylic acid and Glycolic Acid acne medication that helps in keeping blemishes, whiteheads and blackheads at bay. Wearing a toner alone will help if your acne condition isn’t severe, otherwise you should strictly follow cleansers with toners.
These are the key points to consider while choosing a toner for acne prone skin:
- Avoid toners that comprise heavy amounts of alcohol as it can be abrasive and burn out your skin.
- Avoid toner with synthetic fragrances, especially if you have a sensitive skin.
- Choose toners that contain Salicylic Acid or Glycolic Acid.
- Always prefer the ones recommended by your dermatologist.
20+ Best Toners for Acne Prone Skin
Taking all these benchmarks into account, we have chosen and reviewed 20 best tones and astringents for acne prone skin that have stood the test of time.
So, without further ado, let’s dive in!
1. Misumi Pore Purifying Toner
Finally a product that lives up to its hype! Misumi’s Pore Purifying Toner is a must-have in any acne-treating skincare regimen.
After a good cleanser, we highly recommend closing your pores with an excellent toner like this one to protect your skin and prevent future breakouts.
Pore Purifying Toner removes excess oil and impurities that cause acne, shrink pores, and tightens your skin while balancing the skin’s pH level. An unbalanced pH level can lead to wrinkles, inflammation, and acne.
Best For: All skin types, especially acne-prone, oily, or sensitive skin
The Verified customer reviews for this product say it all. We’ve included some Before and After photos and customer reviews below. The majority seem to agree that this is the best toner on the market.
- 60 Day 100% Money-back guarantee
- Unclogs & shrinks pores
- Lemon Peel cleans pores, reduce oiliness, and lighten uneven skin tone
- Contains Witch Hazel which helps to kill bacteria within the skin, calm inflammation and reduce blemishes
- Reduces blackheads and whiteheads
- Lavender Extract helps to reduce acne scarring and uneven skin tone
- Sage Leaf Extract helps to regulate oil production and manage oily skin
- Guilt-free: cruelty-free, no animal testing, no parabens
- Shields the skin from impurities and environmental contaminants
- Not suitable for individuals who are allergic to Witch Hazel or Hyaluronic Acid.
- Apply with a cotton ball after cleansing. Use twice daily.
Customer Before and After
For optimal results, pair Misumi’s Pore Purifying Toner with AHA 10% Skin Perfecting Cleanser. The two miracle-workers will help you achieve visibly clearer skin in two to three weeks.
Misumi also offers a 60-day 100% money-back guarantee policy so you can try them absolutely risk-free!
2. Christina Moss Naturals Organic Facial Toner
Christina Moss Naturals is in this business for 16 years, and they’re well-known for producing high quality organic products.
This Facial Toner from CMN helps balance your skin’s PH levels and gives it an oil-free gentle look.
Best for: Since its all-natural so it goes with all skin types, but works best with oily skin.
- 100% natural ingredients, free from skin damaging harsh chemicals.
- Removes the excess oil on your face, which gives your skin a clean and nourished look.
- It is also infused with anti-aging and skin nourishing ingredients like Aloe Vera and Green Tea Extract.
- This product contains non-drying, anti-inflammatory healthful ingredients which are safe to use for sensitive skin.
- Fairly expensive. For this price, the bottle is small in size and has a little amount of liquid.
- If you’re allergic to essential oils, this might cause problems for you.
3. Exposed Clearing Tonic
Exposed Clearing Tonic penetrates deep in your pores removing all the dirt and grease from your face leaving it clean, refreshed, soft and supple.
Best For: Oily and Combination Skins.
- This toner contains Salicylic Acid as active ingredient which stimulates the dead cells on the surface of the skin to shed leaving your skin clear, acne free.
- It contains ingredients that control redness and inflammation including Salicylic Acid and Glycolic Acid which is famous for treating fine lines, acne, black heads and oiliness.
- It comprises of Benzyl peroxide that kills acne-causing bacteria and cures blemishes alongside preventing future break outs.
- Natural botanical herbs including green tea extract, passion flower extract, aloe and sage leaf extracts are a perfect blend to keep your skin calm.
- This tonic is free from parabens.
- This toner contains fragrant oils so avoid use if you are allergic to Parfum or if you have a sensitive skin.
- If you have combination or dry skin this toner might dry your skin so you definitely need to moisturize afterwards.
4. Super C-22 Toner
Super C-22 Toner has been inspired by the nourishing power of citrus fruits including 22% Vitamin C and hence the name, C-22 that instantly leaves your skin energized and refreshed.
Best For: Oily skins.
- Since this toner contains 22% Vitamin C, it is very effective in fighting the signs of aging such as spots, wrinkles, fine lines and discoloration. This is the only toner on the list providing the highest percentage of Vitamin C.
- This super toner contains power-cleansing ingredients such as hazel and MSM that help your skin in getting rid of all sorts of dirt particles, dead skin and acne-causing bacteria.
- In order to avoid any harm done by the super-cleansing components, many natural anti-oxidants like grapefruit seed, rosemary seed extract, green tea, Vitamin E and carrot oils have been added to balance the effect.
- It greatly restores and maintains the pH of the skin that allows the skin to remain clear and acne-free.
- This is an alcohol-free astringent.
- Sensitive skins should apply this once a day as this toner is infused with great quantity of Vitamin C which is acidic and can be drying although it is gentle. You should follow with a moisturizer.
- If you have dry skin, this toner might cause you a skin rash or might peel off your skin.
5. Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel Alcohol-free Toner
Thayers Rose Petal Toner is enriched with the essence of rose water that supplies your skin with all the vital properties ranging from anti-oxidant to anti-aging that gently nourish your skin while pampering it with exquisite floral scent.
Best For: Combination skins.
- Thayers toner contains organic Aloe Vera as a major constituent and Aloe holds anti-bacterial, ant-septic and anti-inflammatory properties that are all good for your acne-prone skin.
- It contains un-distilled witch hazel extract which is a potent anti-oxidant that cleans and moisturizes your skin and has a soothing effect.
- Glycerin is also a major component of this astringent adding a humectant and moisturizing factor for the skin.
- It is free from alcohol and parabens making it suitable for you if you have sensitive skin.
- It is infused with soft rose fragrance which is pleasant and refreshing.
- It has a very thin consistency so it might get a bit messy during application. You should apply it with the help of a cotton wool.
- Witch hazel extract can be skin aggravating so if you have a sensitive skin it is better to check out for any allergic reactions first.
6. Neutrogena Rapid Clear 2-in-1 Fight & Fade Toner
Neutrogena Rapid Fight and Fade Toner use Microtechnology to fade out acne and reduce blemishes in just 8 hours.
It is also believed to minimize the post-acne marks giving you a clearer and even-toned skin.
Best For: Combination skins.
- Neutrogena Rapid Clear toner constitutes Salicylic Acid as an active ingredient which is a potential component in treating acne.
- It has been formulated with glycolic acid in order to speed skin cell exfoliation to provide you a blemish free skin.
- This toner removes oil from your skin and prevents excess sebum production that does not allow any dirt or bacteria to thrive on your skin.
- Due to its Microtechnology this toner helps you get rid of acne faster than any other on the list, making it really effective for applying before special occasions.
- It fades away any hyperpigmented scars, acne marks, post acne marks and spotty skin.
- It contains denatured alcohol and parabens that can be harmful for your skin.
- It contains strong fragrance so it might irritate the sensitive skins.
- It might leave your skin super dry and flakey so you need to work out on the frequency of application.
- If you have oily skin it might leave your skin greasier than before resulting in break outs.
7. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Clarifying Solution Facial Toner
La Roche-Posay Effaclar Clarifying Solution is specifically developed to clear clogged pores and uneven skin that is a result of dirt and sebum build on the surface cells of the skin.
Best For: Oily skins.
- This formula contains 0.5% Salicylic Acid acne medication that helps reduce blemishes and prevents further break outs.
- This toner is comprised of Glycolic Acid that penetrates deep into pores removing pore-clogging debris and gives your skin a smooth texture.
- It is paraben-free and does not cause redness and irritation on your face.
- It does not contain Parfum that might cause allergy or get abrasive on sensitive skins.
- This toner maintains the elasticity of the skin by swaying away the dead cells on the skin and leaving your skin refreshed.
- If you have combination skin you might feel dryness on your skin. Reduce the amount of applications you do every day.
- If you have dry skin you should try to avoid this as it might be too harsh and abrasive for your skin.
- This formula contains alcohol that is potentially harmful for your acne prone skin.
8. Murad Clarifying Toner
Murad’s Clarifying Toner is a crisp formula that removes impurities from your oily and bothersome acne prone skin without causing irritation while illuminating your skin.
Best For: Combination skins.
- Murad’s toner contains witch hazel extract as its main ingredient which helps in tightening your pores without causing dryness and reducing potential for acne-causing bacteria.
- It contains Allantoin which is a soothing and healing agent for skin that calms irritation and also promotes cell regeneration maintaining the elasticity of the skin.
- It also constitutes Algae extract that regulates excess sebum production eliminating chances of breakouts and blemishes.
- It is rich in anti-oxidants containing Grape Seed extract and Vitamin E that protects from free radical damage.
- It contains glycerin which is effective in curing oily skin problems like pimples, acne and black heads. It also fills the microscopic pores making your skin silkier and smoother.
- Although witch hazel tightens pores and eradicates bacteria, excessive use of this extract can cause allergic reaction leading to scratchy and irritated skin. Make sure you aren’t allergic to it.
- Due to the presence of glycerin it might make your oily skin greasier despite making it clean.
9. Alba Botanica Acnedote, Deep Clean Astringent
Alba Botanica is known for providing 100% natural skin care products since 1979 and one of these products is Alba Botanica Acnedote deep clean toner that helps prevent breakouts and leave your skin fairer and clearer.
Best For: Oily to combination skins.
- Alba Botanica’s toner consists of 2% Salicylic Acid that helps cure your acne-prone skin and prevents further break outs and blemishes.
- It contains Aloe Vera and glycerin that deep cleans the pores and minimizes the appearance of the pores making your skin flawlessly smooth.
- It gently cleans and has a long lasting effect curing skin disorders like rosacea, cystic acne and psoriasis.
- It contains 100% natural ingredients that have been extracted from different botanical plants including matricaria, lavender, rhizome, licorice and willow extracts.
- It contains no parabens, phthalates or synthetic fragrances.
- It has a very reasonable price.
- Although it is a natural product it also contains a little alcohol and has a pore shrinking effect when it is merged with other ingredients that might dry out your skin.
- This can increase hyperpigmentation on your skin if you have sensitive skin.
- It has a naturally derived botanical smell that many of you might find unpleasant or stingy.
10. GLYTONE Acne Clearing Toner
Glytone Acne Clearing Toner is specifically formulated to cure acne by removing impurities and detoxifying your skin giving you an even complexion.
Best For: Oily skins.
- Glytone toner contains Salicylic Acid that cures and heals your acne as it dissolves the skin debris that makes your skin pores clog and regulates the skin cells to dissolve keratin plugs.
- This toner contains benzalkonium chloride which provides anti-bacterial properties that helps the skin fight different infections and acne-causing bacteria.
- It gently exfoliates the skin and removes any sebum or oil building up inside the pores and minimizes the appearance of pores eliminating the chances of bacteria being trapped in the skin.
- It contains acetone that can irritate or cause redness on your skin if you have a sensitive skin and dry out your skin.
- It contains alcohol that can also dry out your skin.
- It has a very high price as compared to other products on the list.
11. Biore Blemish Treating Astringent
Biore Blemish Treating Astringent treats blemishes and purifies your skin to make your face look and feel clear and glowing at its best.
Best For: Oily to Combination skins.
- Due to the presence of fundamental ingredient in healing acne, Salicylic acid, this toner treats pimples effectively.
- This astringent controls oil and shine because of which the pores are not clogged or blocked making your skin to breathe and keeping harmful acne-causing bacteria at bay.
- It contains skin conditioning agents that do not let your skin dry out alongside the presence of absorbents that regulates sebum production.
- Even a single application per day gives you a clean and clear skin which makes it really effective for your skin.
- This product contains alcohol so avoid using it if you have sensitivity to alcohol toners or if you are a sufferer of rosacea.
- It has a strong medicinal smell.
- It can be drying for you if you do not have an oily skin.
12. Mary Kay Clear Proof Blemish/Shine Control Toner
Mary Kay Clear Proof Toner is a great combination of ingredients that help you in eliminating all the factors that build up toxins on your skin leading to a glowing and smoother skin.
Best For: Combination to Dry skins.
- Mary Kay’s toner contains Salicylic Acid which is a must in treating acne and heals all the post acne marks and blemishes right away.
- It tones the skin without over-drying your skin and gently cleansing it to remove excess oil and dirt settled inside the layer of skin.
- It contains Dimethicone which is a skin protectant and improves the texture of your skin.
- This toner is good for aging skin as it contains Salicylic Acid that promotes the shedding of the dead skin cells and makes your skin look younger and maintains its elasticity.
- This toner does not clog pores and minimizes the appearance of your pores making your skin look smoother and silkier.
- It does not contain any fragrance and so it is safe for those who are allergic to Parfum or have sensitive skin.
- This astringent contains alcohol denat and should be avoided by those who have sensitivity to alcohol.
- Since, it contains silica and Dimethicone it might be very greasy on oily skins and might cause them to break out.
13. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Micro-Exfoliating Astringent Facial Toner
La Roche-Posay Micro-Exfoliating Toner is specially designed to visibly minimize your pores by deeply cleansing them and swaying away any grease, dirt or bacteria that might be thriving on it.
Best For: Oily skins.
- This micro-exfoliating astringent has been formulated with LHA (Lipo Hydroxy Acid) that provides micro-exfoliation to help tighten the pores making your skin soft and supple.
- It contains Glycerin as an active ingredient that efficiently blends into your skin and fills the pores or rough surfaces of your skin giving your skin an even texture.
- The presence of glycerin also ensures the hydration of your skin and helps your skin in maintaining its elasticity.
- It also consists of Salicylic Acid that helps in curing acne or any pesky pimples on your face.
- It contains very subtle amount of fragrance that would not bother you or make you feel unpleasant or stingy.
- It contains alcohol denat in substantial amounts so you must avoid it if you are super sensitive to alcohol or suffer from alcohol allergy as it can cause burning and blotchiness.
- It does contain fragrance though in a very little amount but if you have a very sensitive skin it is better that you avoid it.
14. YEOUTH Facial Toner, Hydrating Face Toner
YEOUTH Facial Toner combines all the essential ingredients required to make your skin look and feel young. The most significant part being that it uses all natural products to give you a flawless skin!
Best For: Combination skins.
- Yeouth toner contains Butylene glycol as it active ingredient and it acts as a kin conditioning agent that regulates and maintains the hydration of your skin flushing out any toxins or acne-causing bacteria present.
- It also contains Allantoin that is a moisturizing agent that heals and soothes your acne-prone skin to give you a clearer skin.
- This astringent comprises Chamomile flower extract that possesses anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties and it eradicates the chances of your skin breaking out due to invasion of pimple-causing bacteria.
- This product is hypoallergenic as it neutralizes the skin irritants to provide you allergy free skin.
- Due to the presence of Alcloxa the mild astringent and anti-microbial properties of Aluminum salt and the anti-irritant property of Allantoin are combined together.
- If you have very oily or very dry skins you might not achieve the desired result and your skin will appear oilier.
- It contains the derivatives of alcohol and might be abrasive if you have ultra-sensitive skin.
- It needs to be followed by a moisturizer for better results.
15. Clean & Clear Brand’s Essentials Deep Cleaning Astringent
Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astringent has been formulated for normal and oily skin alongside following the acne treatment regimen that involves Salicylic Acid.
Best For: Oily to Combination skins.
- Clean & Clear toner contains Salicylic Acid, the acne medicine that targets existing pimples and prevents any future break outs.
- This toner is an oil-free formula and does not lead to sebum production and grease building onside the top most layer of your skin.
- It deep cleans pores and does not clog them reducing the space for acne-causing bacteria to rest and spread acne, white heads and black heads.
- It contains Dimethicone which hydrates your skin and maintains its elasticity.
- It contains 41% alcohol which is a sufficient amount to cause you any adverse reaction if you are allergic to it.
- If you have sensitive skin this might be abrasive or too harsh for you.
- Apply three times a day can be very drying initially so start with one application per day.
- It also contains fragrance that might cause redness on sensitive skin.
16. TreeActiv Balancing Herbal Toner
TreeActiv Balancing Herbal Toner is a purely herbal formula that penetrates deep into your skin and exfoliates it minimizing your pores and giving you an overall perfect and clean skin.
Best For: Combination to Dry and Sensitive skins.
- TreeActiv toner due to its herbal nature is suitable for almost all types of skins and is the only one in the list that is best for Combination, dry and sensitive skins.
- This astringent contains the power formula witch hazel extract that helps in eliminating acne, reducing inflammation and balancing the sebum-production on your face.
- This toner frees you from bags and puffy eyes as it improves the skin tone by firming the skin and combating dry skin.
- It contains rose water that has anti-inflammatory properties that helps you stay blemish-free and soothes the redness and irritation.
- The presence of clary sage extract fights bacteria that causes break outs and similar conditions as it holds anti-bacterial characteristics.
- IT also consists of tea tree water which is an essential component in treating acne, white heads and black heads.
- Vitamin A & C along with other anti-oxidants regulate and balance the pH of the skin.
- If you have an extremely oily skin you will not feel any changes after applying.
17. NeutrogenaClear Pore Oil Eliminating Astringent
Neutrogena Clear Pore Astringent mainly targets at eliminating the oil factor from your skin and regulating the sebum-production in order to keep you clean and greaseless.
Best For: Oily skins.
- Neutrogena toner contains Salicylic Acid as the active ingredient that helps treating blemishes and break outs.
- It contains witch hazel extract that easily regulates the excess oil production on your face and helps soothe irritation and redness.
- Butylene glycol is also part of this toner that acts as a conditioning agent and keeps your skin even-textured.
- It is enriched with the Aloe Vera extract that clears your complexion and makes your skin smooth and reduces inflammation and heals post acne marks.
- Chamomile extract is also added to this toner to provide anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties.
- If you have both oily and sensitive skin, this product might not be of much use to you.
- It contains 45% alcohol denat and you should avoid it if you have sensitive skin.
- This toner is not fragrance-free and can cause adverse reaction or slight burns.
18. Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner
Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner has been founded with the anti-aging ingredients that helps soften the fine lines and wrinkles while smoothing your skin.
Best For: Combination to Dry skins.
- This Glycolic Acid toner helps in accelerating the turnover for a younger-looking skin as it rejuvenates your skin and fills the fine lines and wrinkles.
- The glycolic acid present helps in penetrating even the smallest pores and cleaning those treating fine lines, wrinkles, acne, black heads and white heads.
- It also gently exfoliates and reduces dullness giving your skin a fair glow due to the presence of Citrus.
- It is really helpful in discarding hyperpigmentation.
- This product contains parabens that might be harmful for you in the long run.
- It is expensive for the results it delivers.
- It is not fragrance-free and can cause allergic reactions.
19. Burt’s Bees Natural Acne Solutions Clarifying Toner
Burt’s Bees Acne solutions toner is a natural formula that gently exfoliates your skin and nourishes it to provide you with a long-lasting smooth skin.
Best For: Combination skins.
- Like many others on the list this astringent consists of Salicylic Acid for the treatment of acne, blemishes and pustules.
- It contains glycerin that helps in maintaining the even texture of your skin and fills the larger pores and minimizes their appearance highlighting a silkier skin.
- Due to the presence of willow bark extract the shedding of dead skin cells is stimulated and this helps in clearing your skin and pushing away any trapped bacteria inside the layer of your skin having potential to cause acne.
- It is a non-comedogenic product and controls oil and shine on your face.
- This toner contains alcohol and might be abrasive for sensitive skins.
- It is not fragrance-free and can cause adverse reactions on your skin.
- If you have oily skin, avoid it due to the presence of glycerin.
20. Clear n Smooth Pore Cleansing Toner
Clear n Smooth Pore Cleansing Toner is an anti-acne formula that helps you in getting rid of those stubborn blemishes and pimples by deeply cleansing your skin pores.
Best For: Combination skins.
- This toner clears acne, black heads, pimples, bothersome blemishes and shaving razor bumps and is meant for all including teens, men and women.
- This astringent squeezes your pores and wipes out any greasy residue present inside so that the bacteria does not have any food source to thrive on leading to the elimination of acne.
- This formula contains Salicylic acid like others that promotes the breaking of dead cells breaking the space for any residue to settle inside.
- It gently exfoliates the skin and gives you a healthier, age-defying and youthful glow.
- This can also be used as a makeup remover.
- This astringent is comprised of denatured alcohol and might be harsh on sensitive skins.
- It leaves a pungent smell after application.
New Addition 1: Ocean Mineral Toner
Ocean Mineral Toner is a perfect combination of minerals that help boost your skin proteins and gradually lead to a clearer and fairer skin eliminating acne.
Best For: Oily and Sensitive skins.
- This astringent contains Rose distillate that is fairly responsible for providing your skin with anti-inflammatory and healing properties.
- It boosts the skin proteins collagen-elastin that maintains the elasticity of your skin minimizing wrinkles and fine lines to a great extent.
- Witch hazel extract purifies and hydrates your skin regulating the pH of your skin and maintain it to the required level reducing chances of sebum-production.
- The presence of Aloe Vera and Glycerin increases the ability of the skin to absorb moisturizers, oils and serum leaving very low amount settled on the skin reducing chances of break outs.
- It does not contain synthetic fragrance.
- It might get foamy on your combination skin due to the presence of skin surfactants.
New Addition 2: Retseliney Acne Facial Toner & Oil Control
Retseliney Acne Facial Toner is specifically designed to treat the oily acne-prone skin giving you a naturally glowing skin through its natural range of ingredients.
Best For: Oily skins.
- Retseliney’s astringent is a natural anti-blemish formula that helps in deep cleansing the skin and wiping out any greasy residue trapped inside your pores.
- The natural yet powerful ingredients of this toner include Lavender extract that helps healing pimples, Witch hazel extract that helps in tightening pores and Willow bark that acts as a great anti-septic.
- Botanicals like clove, Juniper and Cayenne helps in controlling the sebaceous gland production and eliminates the colonization of bacteria.
- This astringent is free from parabens, phthalates, alcohol and fragrances and purely organic.
- The only con it possibly has is that its price is high but quite reasonable for the advantages it provides.
23. Repechage Hydra Medic Astringent
Repechage Hydra Medic Astringent claims to unclog your skin pores and reduce the shine by cutting off extra sebum. Utilizes a skin-friendly natural formula provides controlled exfoliation through Salicylic Acid.
Suitable For: Oily skin.
- Contains Salicylic acid that sloughs off dead skin cells from skin’s surface giving you a refreshing skin.
- Its Micro Alga and Zinc Complex act as powerful anti-oxidants that gently exfoliate your pores giving you a blackhead-free skin.
- Allantoin acts as a soothing agent and heals inflammation that occurs due to acne.
- Rich in botanical extracts that provide anti-bacterial properties and fights acne-causing bacteria.
- It contains lavender oil which is commonly used to treat acne.
- Glycerin provides a hydrating effect and restores skin’s moisture balance.
- Comprises of denatured alcohol which can cause irritation, drying or slight burning of dry and sensitive skin.
- Contains herbal and botanical extracts that might not be suitable for sensitive skin.
Which toner for acne you’ve decided to try? Do you know of any great name I haven’t mentioned here in this post? Please share your thoughts in the comments below!