Facial cleansing is the fundamental part of your skincare regimen. And it becomes much more essential for your routine if your skin is acne-prone. So, as your cleansing needs increase, the need for cleansing tools also increase. And, you know that necessity is the mother of invention.
Facial cleansers and exfoliators have been and are still common for the purpose. What’s new is the facial cleansing brushes for acne and skin care. Despite being in the market for long, they were only considered a luxury tool. But now times have changed and they have become a necessity.
Although, these brushes are excellent for exfoliating, skin polishing and improving complexion, there are several myths that people tend to believe. And because of this, they are inclined to cleansing products and stick to them only.
This post of ours will give you a fair idea of how exfoliating brushes can be beneficial for your skin. Apart from this, we will also include the reviews of best exfoliating brushes for acne. This way you will overcome any fear that you have regarding using them and will consider new options the market holds for you.
| #1 - Clarisonic Mia 2 Acne Cleansing Brush || Suitable For: All types of skin including sensitive.||5.0 stars out of 5|
| #2 - Foreo Luna Facial Cleansing Device || Suitable For: All types of skin||4.5 stars out of 5|
| #3 - Olay Prox Facial Cleansing Brush || Suitable For: Combination to dry skin||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- Do Facial Brushes Help Acne?
- Benefits of Face Brushes
- The Right Way to Use Facial Cleansing Brushes
- Pitfalls to Avoid During Facial Cleansing
- Reviews of 10 Best Facial Cleansing Brushes for Acne and Skin Care
- 1. Clarisonic Mia 2 Acne Cleansing Brush
- 2. Foreo Luna Facial Cleansing Device
- 3. Olay Prox Facial Cleansing Brush
- 4. Pixnor Facial Cleansing Brush and Massager
- 5. INNERNEED Handheld Cleansing Brush
- 6. Philips Pure Radiance Brush
- 7. ETEREAUTY Facial Brush
- 8. Fancii Face Spa System
- 9. Essential Skin Solutions Perfect Skin Brushing System
- 10. Kingdom Cares Facial Cleansing Brush
- What’s Your Favorite Face Cleansing Brush?
Do Facial Brushes Help Acne?
Thoughts that might surround you before trying face brushing is if it’s really going to help you eradicate or improve acne. Well, a simple answer to that is yes. Because now the market for facial cleansing brushes have expanded to a great extent.
Today we have several options out of which we can select which brush will be best for us. There is a broad-spectrum range of brushes that address different skin concerns and skin types. Before knowing them, you need to debunk any myth you have in your mind regarding exfoliating brushes.
So, for that let’s check what benefits it holds for you.
Benefits of Face Brushes
Removes all the impurities from your skin including dead skin cells, germs and bacteria, makeup residue and sunscreen. When you use a brush for exfoliation, you accelerate your cell turnover process.
Normally, the skin renews itself in 28 days but using a brush for cleansing helps you in getting rid of all the cell debris as soon as it flakes from your skin. You also achieve a brighter looking skin.
Offers a Deep Cleanse
When you just cleanse your skin with a washcloth or simply your fingertips, you do not achieve a thorough cleanse. The bristles of the brush penetrate your pores and help you get a deep cleanse. This way you minimize your chance of getting whiteheads and blackheads.
Gives a Smooth Complexion
Your pores shrink when they are clogged from excess oil, sebum and dirt. A brush cleanser reduces enlarged and clogged pores due to which you get a tightened skin. This leads to a smooth skin and fair complexion.
Encourages Lymphatic Drainage
Our skin cells excrete cellular waste into the bloodstream for detoxification. This waste is collected by our lymphatic system. Facial brushes stimulate this lymphatic drainage process that helps your skin to detox.
A facial brush also serves a a micro-dermabrasion or mini-massage tool. It improves circulation by stimulating the skin cells which results in a radiant and glowing skin.
Offers Better Absorption of Skincare Products
When your skin is clogged, any skincare product that you apply on your skin does not absorb as efficiently in your skin as it should. Cleansing with a brush really prepares your skin for further skincare routine. You’ll notice that products like serum and moisturizer will be soaked into your skin really quick.
The Right Way to Use Facial Cleansing Brushes
Brushing your face right counts a lot. Initially, choose a brush that has fine and thin bristles. Thick and coarse brushes might be abrasive for you if you are new to face brushing.
First dampen your skin and apply a dime-sized amount of a gentle cleanser (probably that suits your skin) to the side of the brush. Make sure the brush is clean and sterilized. Let the bristles glide across your skin in fine circular motions.
Cleanse your T-zone (i.e. forehead and nose) and chin for 20 seconds each and your cheeks for 10 seconds. This sums up to a total of one minute. Do not increase the timing if you are new to face brushing.
You can increase the timing once you find out how your skin responds to it. Charge the brush afterwards or replace the battery when required.
Pitfalls to Avoid During Facial Cleansing
Since brushes have a heavy-duty performance, you need to be careful while using them. To ensure safe face brushing you need to keep the following things in mind:
- Start off slow regardless of your skin type. Use once or twice a week and then observe how your skin reacts. Dry and sensitive skins should stick to 1-2 times a week whereas oily ones can work up to once a day.
- Select your face brush according to your needs. Some brushes stimulate collagen production to combat wrinkles and fine lines. Some reduce the size of your pores. And all this is achieved by the brush heads that are available in different designs.
- Remove your makeup before using a brush. Brush cannot completely wipe off your makeup. In fact, it will push the makeup residue into your pores causing you to break out.
- Those with sensitive skins should stick to a cleanser that suits them well and use an exfoliating brush that has a silicone head and fine thin bristles.
- Since cystic acne grows deep inside your skin, avoid using a brush on your acne. Brushing them can lead to severe irritation and more bacteria to thrive inside your pores.
- Do not use a scrub with micro-beads or nuts or one that contains glycolic acid with your cleansing brush as it can aggravate your acne-prone skin.
- Clean your brushes and disinfect them after every use so that you do not spread bacteria on your skin the next time.
- To have ideal results, change your brush head every three months.
Reviews of 10 Best Facial Cleansing Brushes for Acne and Skin Care
Just to make your hunt for good exfoliating brushes easier, we have reviewed some of the best cleansing brushes that are available in the market.
Let’s find your perfect fit:
Mia 2 exfoliating brush is designed for delicate skin and instantly cleanse your skin. All you need to do is to apply a cleanser on wet Clarisonic brush and move it in circular motions. You’ll be instantly refreshed.
Suitable For: All types of skin including sensitive.Pros:
- Claims to remove makeup, dirt and sebum six times more efficiently than regular exfoliation.
- Can work at two different speeds to adjust to sensitive skin needs.
- Has a 60-seconds timer that sets time for even cleaning.
- Has super soft bristles that get to hard-to-reach areas and clears pores.
- Makes your skin receptive to absorption of different skincare products.
- Gentle enough and can be used twice a day.
- Comes with a two years warranty.
- More effective with a foam cleanser.
- Does not work for hard and stubborn acne.
- Can be harsh on sensitive skin if used more than thrice a week.
- Brush head needs to be replaced after every three months.
Foreo Luna Cleansing Brush is the best silicone brush on the list. Foreo delivers around 8,000 T-Sonic pulsations per-minute through the silicone touchpoints. This T-Sonic Technology penetrates deep into your skin layers to give you the best cleansing experience ever!
Suitable For: All types of skinPros:
- Works best for combination skin which is difficult to deal with through 3 zones of varying touchpoints.
- Effectively clears up to 99.5% of clogged pores with dirt, makeup and oil.
- Has 8 different adjustable intensities to cater to the needs of users.
- Comes with a built-in battery that lasts for up to 5 months which makes it very travel friendly.
- No replacement of brushes is required.
- It is 100% water proof and comes in four different colors.
- People with oily skin regard it as only a vibrator that does nothing to clear pores and acne.
- Can cause irritation and rash on sensitive skin.
- It does not have a timer, so you need to set your own alarm or check out for 1 minute.
- There are battery issues and many users complained that the device stopped working after a while.
- Can’t be used with clay-based and grainy cleansers as the silicone nubs are already tough.
Olay’s advanced cleansing system offers you gentle exfoliation for improved skin texture. Good for everyday use, this exfoliating brush targets for a silky soft skin and is recommended by dermatologists.
Suitable For: Combination to dry skinPros:
- Specifically clears all the hard-to-remove makeup residue from your skin so you do not need to remove it separately before using this brush.
- Comes with a cleanser gel that uses ingredients such as retinol and amino peptides that rejuvenate your skin.
- Maximizes the instant hydrating effect of your anti-aging moisturizer.
- Has a 2-speed rotating system which lets you cleanse more thoroughly.
- Contain refills for brush head.
- Super economical and long lasting.
- Too gentle for extremely oily skin and does not clear pores effectively.
- Olay recommends using an anti-aging moisturizer along with this product.
- The brush wears out soon so you need to invest in backup brushes.
Pixnor’s exfoliating brush is the only one on the list that addresses other skin conditions apart from acne. And besides this, it is ideal for someone who likes to have multiple options for skincare. It serves as a facial brush and also a massager.
Suitable For: All types of skinPros:
- Includes a wide range of cleansing brush heads, a total of seven: soft latex sponge, makeup sponge, short bristle, long bristle brush, exfoliating head, pumice head and rolling massager.
- Pumice pad eliminates calluses from your feet and elbows, so we can say this cleansing system is suitable for use on other body parts too.
- Rolling massager head boosts blood circulation and tones facial muscles for a more youthful skin.
- Short and long bristles work to clear out blocked pores and surface oils, plucking out any blackheads or whiteheads.
- Extremely affordable and effective.
- Quality of some brush heads is not up to the mark.
- Brush speed is super slow and it has spinning dysfunctionality.
- The claim of this product being “waterproof” is really misleading and the product can stop working.
Innerneed’s exfoliating brush is a silicone based handheld brush that makes exfoliation super easy. It is the only manual brush in the list and is made up of 100% natural ingredients. Comes as a pack of two and is really affordable.
Suitable For: All types of skin, sensitive skin.Pros:
- Has two types of bristles, thin and coarse. Thin ones for cleansing and coarse ones for massaging the skin.
- Efficiently removes oil and dead skin cells making your pores clear and blackhead-free.
- The massaging bristle improves blood circulation and stimulates skin renewal process.
- User can tune in to their own scrubbing frequency as it is a manual brush.
- Really soft for sensitive skin and works great for rosacea, wrinkles and fine lines.
- No power supply is required, brush dries easily and does not mold ever.
- It does not remove long-lasting makeup.
- Being a manual brush, the user needs to exfoliate in a correct way, using rotations step by step.
6. Philips Pure Radiance Brush
Philips Cleansing System uses a dual motion technology to give you a visibly clear skin. Though being on an expensive side, it delivers what it claims to give – a gentle radiant skin.
Suitable For: Combination to oily skin.Pros:
- It is ten times more effective for removing makeup than regular cleansing.
- Shrinks pores and provides deep cleansing.
- Uses both sonic pulses and gentle rotations to break the layers of impurity and sweep it off.
- Improves micro-circulation that gives your skin a glowing look.
- You do not need to use a toner along with it.
- Has a good battery life.
- Does not provide brush options so you could use according to your need.
- Can be harsh for sensitive skin.
- Does not have an adjustable timer.
7. ETEREAUTY Facial Brush
Etereauty Facial Cleansing System gives you a spa-quality skin treatment at home. This stand alone 4 in 1 cleansing system offers you a wide variety of brushes to cater to your acne-prone skin needs.
Suitable For: All types of skin.Pros:
- Tackles blemishes by eliminating pore-clogging dirt from your skin.
- Has a two-speed rotating system which enables effective yet gentle exfoliation.
- Comes with a pumice brush head that allows the removal of calluses.
- Contains two types of nylon brush heads, one offers deep cleansing while other generally cleans.
- Also has an extra soft silicone brush for people with sensitive and dry skin.
- Durable and can be used in the shower.
- Has sleek and elegant design that fits well in your grip.
- Requires 2 AA batteries which are not included in the set.
- Its brush heads need to be replaced every three months.
- You cannot get single replacement head brushes, they come as a set of four.
- There are battery issues and many users complain of poor rotation speed.
8. Fancii Face Spa System
Fancii Facial Cleansing Set comes in a compact box casing that holds the cleansing device and a pair of three exfoliating brushes. What’s so special about this kit is that you can carry it while travelling or anywhere you go.
Suitable For: All types of skinPros:
- Its advanced microdermabrasion scrub system removes make up, dirt and oil.
- Unplugs all the blackheads and whiteheads from your skin making it spot-free.
- Has soft nylon brushes for gentle cleansing with different bristle thickness to cater to different skin types.
- Contains a silicone brush head for those with sensitive skin.
- Improves skin texture and promotes anti-aging by cell regeneration.
- It is water-resistant and has two speed settings.
- Comes with an 18-month warranty.
- Does not contain a cleansing gel.
- Cannot be used for removing calluses as it is purely for facial cleansing.
- Its water-proof claim is a bit overexaggerated as it might broke after a few times use in the shower.
- Battery operated but does not include it.
9. Essential Skin Solutions Perfect Skin Brushing System
When it comes to an acne-prone skin, cleansing and exfoliation are not only limited to your face but your whole body. This brushing system provides you the option of head brushes that can work for other body parts too.
Suitable For: All types of skin except sensitive.Pros:
- Facial cleansing brush deep cleans pores and minimizes them giving you a blackhead-free skin.
- Has two facial brushes for different skin types, soft and coarse.
- Exfoliating body brush helps prevent acne and acne scars on back, chest and arms.
- Helps tighten skin and prevents ingrown hairs by increasing circulation.
- Prepares skin for more effective absorption of toners, serum and moisturizers.
- Both men and women can use it.
- The brushes can be rough on sensitive and dry skin and can make you break out.
- It is not water-proof.
- Has operating issues and the device does not have a long life.
- Not effective for severe acne.
10. Kingdom Cares Facial Cleansing Brush
Kingdom Cares double ultrasonic vibration technology brush helps skin achieve the effect of deep cleansing. This portable exfoliator and face scrubber, is IPX6 waterproof and comes with an inductive cordless charger.
Suitable For: Combination to dry and sensitive skin.Pros:
- The cleanser head brush contains 17000 soft and silky bristles that ensure gentle exfoliating and massaging.
- Brush vibrates at 220million times per second and sloughs off dead skin cells for an at-home microdermabrasion experience.
- Claims to be 6.5 times more effective at removing oil plugs and makeup than ordinary soap.
- Each bristle is 1/10th the size of human hair which makes it suitable for sensitive skin.
- Brush bristles are made from anti-bacterial PBT that kills acne-causing bacteria.
- Has three speeds rotation option to enable daily and deep cleansing options.
- Clears acne, dark spots, milia and maintains skin elasticity.
- Not effective for extremely oily skin as brush heads are too soft for them.
- There is no variety of brushes to cater other body areas except for skin.
- Does not work for calluses.
- Has charging issues due to an inductive charger.
- No charger replacement is available. If you run out of charger, device becomes futile.
What’s Your Favorite Face Cleansing Brush?
Different types of cleansing brushes work for different types of people. If you are someone who hasn’t used a face brush yet and are tired of your acne, you definitely need to try them out. And hopefully, we have made your research for an exfoliation brush easier.
For those who have been using a brush quite for some time, we hope you have found a suitable pick for yourselves. Have you used any of the above mentioned brushes for exfoliation? Let us know in the comments below.