Sensitive skin and acne are two things that are difficult enough to deal with individually. But when you combine them, you can be faced with a very challenging situation. With so many acne treatments available, most of them will cause all sorts of other problems due to your skin’s sensitivity.
You essentially end up in a catch 22 situation. You would ideally use some stronger ingredients to effectively deal with the pimples and inflammation. But your sensitive skin dictates that you need to use products that are gentle and don’t aggravate things even more.
But his increased sebum production will actually cause your pores to clog up even more, ending up with worse acne.
To help you find the right products to improve your facial cleansing routine, we have put together this guide. It’s packed with information on figuring out what types of ingredients to focus on. And you’ll also find recommendations on the best products you can buy to significantly improve both your sensitive skin and acne.
Top 3 - Editor's Picks
If you're in a rush, below are the top 3 Best Acne Products for Sensitive Skin, hands down!
| #1 - Misumi Pore Purifying Toner || Easily Our Number One Pick For All Skin Types.||5.0 stars out of 5|
| #2 - Exposed Skin Care Acne Treatment System || Pack Of Natural Ingredients||4.5 stars out of 5|
| #3 - Keeva Organics Tea Tree Oil Acne Cream || Perfect For Sensitive Skin||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- Top 3 - Editor's Picks
- What you will learn:
- Do You Really Have a Sensitive Skin?
- Best Acne Products For Sensitive Skin
- Best Moisturizer For Sensitive Skin
- Best Cleanser for Sensitive Skin
- Best Sunscreen/Sunblock for Sensitive Skin
- Sensitive Skin and Acne
- Skin Care Tips for Sensitive Acne Prone Skin
- Wrapping it up
What you will learn:
- How to determine if you have a sensitive skin.
- Best acne products for sensitive skin. These are all-in-one acne treatment systems. You won’t necessarily need to use other acne products in conjunction with them.
- If you’re looking for specific acne products for sensitive skin (not stand-alone acne treatments), I’ve also reviewed the best cleansers, moisturizers, and sunscreens that are suitable and effective for sensitive acne prone skins.
- At the end, you’ll discover 6 essential sensitive skin care tips that you should employ in your everyday life.
Do You Really Have a Sensitive Skin?
Before you head over to discovering the best acne products for sensitive skin, it’s very important to identify whether or not you have a sensitive skin in the first place.
You have a sensitive skin when:
- Your skin keeps excessively dried.
- Your skin has a tendency to facial flushing – when your friends or relatives suspect that you have rosacea.
- When you get rashes, bumps, pustules, or erosions on your skin every now and then.
Having determined your skin type, let’s jump over to discovering all the best acne products for sensitive skin available on the market.
Best Acne Products For Sensitive Skin
This Pore Purifying Toner is a breakthrough, premium quality acne treatment, and is especially great for sensitive skin.
Packed with herbal and citrus ingredients like Witch Hazel, Sage, Chamomile, Lemon Peel, and Lavender Extract, this miracle toner will help you achieve visibly clearer skin, tighter pores, and a more radiant complexion in as little as two weeks.
There are so many good reviews from customers who have tried many toners in the past that say none of them come close to being as good as Misumi’s and we have to agree with them.
The toner not only soothes and revitalizes the skin, but it also helps to balance pH levels and prevent breakouts. Witch Hazel, a natural astringent, will help you achieve noticeable smaller pores, while Chamomile will reduce irritation and scarring.
Lavender contains anti-inflammatory and sebum-balancing properties, which will help to regulate oil production and reduce redness. Lemon peel helps to reduce oiliness without stripping the skin of its natural oil content.
The list of natural acne-fighting ingredients in this formula goes on. Check out their website for a complete overview of the incredible ingredients.
This is truly the best toner formula we’ve come across, with high-quality and concentration of safe and natural ingredients.
It combines the best that nature has to offer in one soothing and refreshing bottle. Definitely a Must Have in any acne regimen, especially for those out there that are struggling to find suitable products for sensitive skin.
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Minimizes blackheads and whiteheads
- Reduces oiliness without stripping the skin
- Achieves noticeably tighter pores
- Removes dirt and debris that is still left behind after cleansing
- Soothing and nourishing ingredients
- Calms breakouts and reduces redness and irritation
- Prevents severe acne scarring
- Make sure you check their ingredient list to make sure you’re not allergic to any of the natural ingredients.
- Shouldn’t be used alone as an acne cure or spot treatment. Meant to compliment any acne routine.
There’s no denying to the proven effectiveness of time-tested anti-acne ingredients such as salicylic acid (opens skin pores), benzoyl peroxide (fights acne causing bacteria), glycolic acid (rejuvenates skin) and the likes. And many acne products use these ingredients individually with great results.
How is that possible? With a touch of soothing natural ingredients! Read on for all details.
- One of the top most rated Acne Treatment Brands out there.
- Can be used as a standalone acne treatment.
- Proven scientific ingredients, such as salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and glycolic acid fight your acne fast.
- Soothing natural ingredients such as green tea, sage extract, and aloe vera makes it suitable for sensitive skin.
- Leaves your skin fresh and smooth without leaving oil.
- Can leave your skin dried out.
- Doesn’t clear your acne overnight, you will need to stick with it to reap full benefits.
- Pricier than Proactiv.
- Extensive directions are provided with each kit that you offer.
- Basic and expanded kits both offer different coverage, so you will have to follow respective directions included within the package.
Keeva tea tree oil acne treatment cream is a organic refreshing and soothing acne treatment with no chemicals that makes it perfect for sensitive skin.
It doesn’t harm or dry your skin like other acne treatments thanks to its main ingredients being organic tea tree oil and salicylic acid.
- Organic tea tree oil & salicylic acid are the best combination for a moisturized acne free skin.
- As a great bonus this treatment also includes Hyaluronic Acid that helps diminish the acne scars for a clearer & smoother skin.
- Refreshing tea tree oil smell.
- Smooth textured cream.
- Also helps keeping your skin moisturized.
- Guilt Free: No animal testing.
- Chemical Free: No Parabens or Sulfates.
- Organic: Made with Non-GMO ingredients.
- Visible results in days not months.
- Made with natural organic ingredients, some cases of sensitive skin are actually allergies so if you suffer from allergies you might want to take a look first at the ingredients labeled.
- Scented Cream that some will find pleasant but others may dislike the smell.
- Not all skin types and cases are the same and although this product works on 95% of the people it won’t work on everyone.
- After cleansing your face Apply Keeva tea tree oil Acne Treatment Cream directly to your pimples and acne spots. Repeat daily.
Flagship treatment from Dr. Howard Murad’s prestigious skin care products line. This acne treatment kit is specially formulated for sensitive acne prone skins.
- It is a 3 step acne treatment system, which fades acne blemishes your skin while not drying it out and causing redness or itching.
- The salicylic acid cleanser eliminates pimples by opening up your clogged skin pores.
- Murad uses salicylic acid in the mildest concentration possible (0.5%) which makes it sensitive skin friendly in true meaning of the word.
- It is much less likely to cause excessive dryness (due to small concentration of SA) than many of its counterparts.
- The smell of sulfur (in the spot treatment) is not admired by all.
- Not a cheap option.
- The soothing skin gel should be used twice a day to clear your skin of all unwanted stuff. It contains no harsh chemicals, it’s pretty safe doing so.
- Use acne clearing solution as a spot treatment and apply it directly on your blemishes.
- Acne clearing solution should be followed up with Correcting Moisturizer provided with the kit. It will help control dryness on your skin that spot treatment may cause.
- AcneFree employs proven anti acne ingredients such as salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide in their most mild concentrations. This makes it very less likely to cause irritation or dryness on your sensitive skin.
- Contains a spot treatment that can be directly applied on your pimples to dry them out.
- If you’ve tried proactiv and it made your skin peeled, AcneFree is gentler than that and is just as effective.
- Has the ability to deal with hormonal acne (see what a mother has to say).
- Not a quick acne treatment. So, you have to be patient in order to reap its benefits.
- If you’re sensitive to any of its active ingredients (salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide), this may not be suitable for you.
- The spot treatment is somewhat strong. Only use it directly on your pimples and avoid contact on very dry areas of your skin. Otherwise, you might end up having a burning sensation or even a rash on your skin.
- May not be the safest option for extremely dry skin.
- The spot treatment should be used once daily initially. Apply it directly on your pimples. If your skin can tolerate, you can increase its application to twice a day for better results.
- Use cleanser once (or twice, if needed be) to open up your blocked pores.
- Follow up with the moisturizer to not let it dry out your skin.
- Its active ingredients may turn your skin more sensitive towards sunlight. So, it’s good to wear a sunscreen when going outside.
Best Moisturizer For Sensitive Skin
6. Simple Facial Moisturizer, Replenishing Rich
The experts at Simple® are known for their expertise on sensitive skin care. Simple Facial Moisturizer is one of the best options for moistening your sensitive skin without causing it further damage.
- Extremely light and gentle formula, perfect for sensitive skin acne prone skin.
- The best part I like about this moisturizer is it’s completely free of dyes, synthetic fragrances, and other harsh chemicals that can cause irritation on your skin.
- It is an oil-free moisturizer, which means it won’t cause pore clogging, excessive oiliness, or acne on your skin.
- Being extremely gentle and completely oil free does have a downside. Simple Moisturizer may not be able to effectively moisturize an extremely dry skin. As a result, you may need to apply multiple coatings if you’re not satisfied with the first. But this doesn’t necessarily happen often.
- It promises to keep your skin hydrated for 24 hours, which is true for most skin types. But for excessively dry skin, 12 hour protocol would be more accurate.
- Gently apply a thin layer on your skin with circular motions. Just make sure to avoid its contact with your eyes.
7. Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture, Sensitive Skin
One of the best products skin care giant Neutrogena has launched for sensitive skin is this Oil-Free Moisture.
- It is oil-free and non-comedogenic. So, you don’t have to worry about getting more acne after applying it.
- Works for not just sensitive acne prone skin, but also for combination and oily skin.
- Doesn’t leave residue on your skin. So you get a blemish free face that is effectively hydrated and moisturized.
- Gets absorbed fast into your skin without blocking your skin pores.
- Fragrance-free and works fine under makeup (won’t cause cosmetic acne).
- Using it simultaneously with acne medications like benzoyl peroxide can cause burning or other side-effects on your skin.
- The pump bottle that it comes in can get messy once you’ve used half of the moisturizer. You may have to take out lotion by hand. But that’s, however, not always the case.
- Apply a trifle amount in your hand and gently apply a thin uniform layer on your skin. Message very gently with upward and downward motions until its absorbed on your skin.
- Just a small pump will do the trick, don’t apply in huge amounts or it’ll leave your skin oily.
Best Cleanser for Sensitive Skin
8. CLn Facial Cleanser – Sensitive Skin Facial Cleanser
CLn cleanser is the only product I’ve listed on this page that is awarded with National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance. It is a prestigious seal that is only awarded to services or products that have proven to be very effective for sensitive skin care.
- Sodium hypochlorite (an ingredient in CLn cleanser) gives it a faint but unpleasant scent.
- Needs to be strictly kept away from t-area of your face to avoid burning sensation.
- Dispense 2-3 drops of CLn cleanser in your washed hands and work it into leather. Apply on your skin with gentle circular motions. It’s good to keep massaging gently for at least 30 seconds before rinsing off with lukewarm water.
9. Spectro Jel Cleanser for Sensitive Skin
Spectro is a Canadian skin care company that has built its reputation as a reliable provider of sensitive skin care products. The flagship Jel Cleanser is popular in North American countries but it is continuously getting traction from around the world because of its efficacy.
- Deep cleanses your skin to clear it off all unwanted dirt, oil, and bacteria that leads to acne formation.
- Won’t dry out your skin as it contains moisturizer within.
- Completely free of mineral oils that make products comedogenic.
- Also suits Perioral Dermatitis sufferers.
- Apply a few drops on your wet face.
- Massage gently for about 30 seconds.
- Wipe off with lukewarm water.
Start off with one application daily. Once your skin gets familiar with it, increase its usage to twice a day, morning and night, for best results.
Best Sunscreen/Sunblock for Sensitive Skin
10. CoTZ Spf 40 UVB/UVA Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin
CoTZ is one of the most popular and effective sunscreen for sensitive skins for some definite reasons I’ll highlight below.
- Protects your skin from both UVA (rays that cause deep damage your skin) and UVB (rays that cause superficial damage such as tanning).
- Free from nasty chemicals.
- Is it a gentle, non-comedogenic formula that is perfect for skins prone to acne, rosacea, or eczema.
- Won’t sting like majority of other sunscreen available.
- Best sunscreen for winter dry skin.
- Can leave a light residue on your skin. This is why it can be a bit greasy at times. I recommend using it in small amounts so there’s not much to be left on your skin.
- Can cause itching to particular skin types, you should stop using it if it does so to not let it worsen your skin.
- Can be excessively greasy in warm weather, and for oily or combination skins.
- Just apply it uniformly on your face, neck, or hands.
Shake before taking out as it can get a bit watery if kept still for a long time.
Sensitive Skin and Acne
Having acne is bad. But having acne with sensitive skin is worst. Sensitive skin is extremely common. Studies have shown that almost half of the population share sensitive skin.
Although, having a particular skin type is natural and you cannot change it. But this doesn’t stop you from taking good care of your skin.
The following skin care tips for sensitive acne prone skin will help you keep your skin under control. They will also ensure that you don’t make your acne worse.
Skin Care Tips for Sensitive Acne Prone Skin
1. Avoid Harsh Scrubs at all Costs
It’s tempting to quickly scrub away dead cells from your skin to eradicate blackheads and whiteheads. But this can prove to be a worst step when you have sensitive skin.
Harsh scrubs will cause further peeling on your skin. This will result in more redness, irritation, pain, and quite possibly more acne breakouts.
You need to be gentle with your skin as much as you can. Avoid harsh exfoliants and scrubs at all costs. I even recommend taking time to figure out the best acne soap that suits your skin.
2. Stay Away From Abrasive Washcloths
Moreover, Peter Jaret from WebMD believes that conventional buff puffs and washcloths can result in excessive oiliness on your skin. This is because they can peel off the natural oil from your skin, which triggers your skin to produce more oil.
So, unless you’re using a highly specialized washcloth for sensitive acne prone skin, you should better stay away from it.
3. Don’t Overtreat Your Acne
By this I mean you shouldn’t employ multiple acne treatments on your sensitive skin at the same time. If you’re using an over-the-counter acne cream or gel, make sure you’re not taking some acne pills at the same time.
However, some products can be used along with other medications simultaneously – like in exposed acne treatment system.
But generally, products that can conflict with other treatments are labeled to do so. So, you should check that in the product description.
4. Never Leave on a Treatment
Some acne products containing benzoyl peroxide or retin-A require to leave them on your skin all day long to be able to effectively deal with bacteria and rejuvenate your skin. This can be too much for your sensitive skin.
However, you may be able to tolerate them in shorter periods. Never leave concentrated acne treatments on your sensitive for more than 20 or at most 30 minutes. You should consult your physician if you want to leave them on for longer.
5. Avoid Excessive Sun Exposure
Another effective step towards controlling stinging, redness, and itching caused by your sensitive skin is to avoid sun exposure. A little bit of sunlight is always good, but make sure it’s not prolonged.
But if you can’t possibly avoid sun exposure all day long, you can use one of the following sunscreen that I’ve reviewed above:
6. Use New Products With Caution
It’s good not to blatantly use any new product on your sensitive acne prone skin. Always start off with small amounts. If you think your skin is alright with it, means that there’s no irritation or redness, you may gradually increase its concentration.
Wrapping it up
This is all from this comprehensive post on best acne products for sensitive skin. You didn’t only discover these hand-picked, highly effective and popular products for acne prone sensitive skins, but you also learn some highly effective tips for sensitive skin care.
If you have any questions or suggestions regarding this blog post or topic, let me know in the comments below. I’m counting on ya!