Adding a concealer to your makeup routine is an excellent way to deal with blemishes, spots and of course the effects of acne. However, what most concealers do is severely cover up skin and in many cases clog up pores with oily ingredients. This does work well to cover up certain areas, but it will also aggravate your skin.
The reason is that clogged up pores are the number one cause for acne outbreaks. So your attempt to cover up an acne outbreak can actually cause it to get worse. It really is a bit of a catch 22 situation.
For quite a few years though there have been concealers that have been specifically designed for those suffering from acne. The problem is that in most cases they lack pigmentation and really aren’t that long lasting.
You end up spending time and effort to try and cover things up, only for the effect to be minimal and stop working in just a few hours. When you’re heading for a night out or a first date, then that’s really not something you want to have happen.
Fortunately, there are products available that are far more effective. And we have gone ahead and extensively researched them to find the best choices. In the blow list we cover options for all skin types and tones that will work wonders once you add them to your makeup routine.
Top 3 - Editor's Picks
If you're in a rush, below are the Best Concealers for Acne Prone Skin, hands down!
| #1 - Neutrogena Skin Clearing Blemish Concealer || Non-Comedogenic Product||5.0 stars out of 5|
| #2 - Boo-Boo Cover-Up Concealer || Safe For Sensitive Skins||4.5 stars out of 5|
| #3 - CONS - Organic Natural Concealer Paste for Acne and Blemished Skin || Best For Oily And Combination Skins||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- Top 3 - Editor's Picks
- What Makes a Good Concealer for Acne- Prone Skin?
- 20 Best Concealers for Acne Prone Skin with Proven Results
- 1. Neutrogena Skin Clearing Blemish Concealer
- 2. Boo-Boo Cover-Up Concealer
- 3. CONS – Organic Natural Concealer Paste for Acne and Blemished Skin
- 4. e.l.f. Concealer
- 5. Murad Acne Treatment Concealer
- 6. L’Oreal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Concealer
- 7. Dermalogica Concealing Acne Spot Treatment
- 8. Body Shop Tea Tree Concealer
- 9. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer
- 10. Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage SC-3
- 11. Clinique Acne Solutions Clearing Concealer
- 12. Clinique Acne Solutions Clearing All Over Clearing Facial Treatment Oil Free
- 13. Too Faced Cosmetics Absolutely Flawless Flexible Concealer
- 14. CoverBlend Multi-Function Concealer
- 15. L’Oreal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Makeup
- 16. Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer
- 17. Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer
- 18. Hourglass Hidden Corrective Concealer
- 19. NYX Cosmetics Concealer
- 20. Bobbi Brown New Creamy Concealer Kit
- Your thoughts?
What Makes a Good Concealer for Acne- Prone Skin?
Does the concealer need to say “Non-comedogenic Product”? Or “Paraben-free”? There is a variety of ingredients that you need to look out for when making a selection. Consider the following elements when making a selection:
- It Should be a Non-Comedogenic Product
The label “Non-comedogenic” is not sufficient for believing that the concealer is oil-free. At times, the creamiest formulas, label themselves as non-comedogenic. However, the thicker consistency a product has, the more likely it is to be comedogenic.
- Do Not Use Alcohol-Based and Scented Formulas
Alcohol-based or scented concealers can trigger reactions that can cause sensitive skins or oily skins to break out.
- Avoid Using Heavy or Thick Concealers
Heavy and thick concealers contain caking agents that help them preserve their consistency. These caking agents can be harmful for your acne-prone skin.
- Prefer Concealer With Proven Anti-Acne Ingredients
Salicylic Acid and Tea Tree Oil are major ingredients that help in healing acne, so it is better if your concealer constitutes them.
20 Best Concealers for Acne Prone Skin with Proven Results
Below is a research-based list that will help you in choosing the right concealer according to your skin type. Disguise your acne without aggravating it.
Neutrogena Skin Clearing Blemish Concealer is a two in one formula concealer. It works both as a concealer and a skin care product. This concealer focuses on Microtechnology and gives you a natural look hiding all blemishes.
- The main ingredient in this concealer is Salicylic Acid that helps in elimination of acne and blemishes.
- Concealers are used under eyes and Salicylic Acid can be harmful if comes in contact with eyes. But concentration of SA used in this product is 0.05%, which makes it quite reliable.
- It is a non-comedogenic product and prevents excess oil-production on skin that might lead to black heads and break outs.
- It does not clog pores hiding your blemishes making your skin smoother and silkier.
- It does not contain fragrance and would not cause any harm to the surrounding eye area.
- It is also effective for treating milia (small cystic bodies under the surface of the skin that cannot be squeezed unlike black heads).
- Excessive drying of the skin may occur if you instantly start applying it 2-3 times a day so it is better to start with once a week.
- This concealer comes in fair tone and can look dark on paler skin tones.
- Combination skins might face the occurrence of peeling and it might give them a cakey look.
Boo-Boo Cover-Up Concealer is an innovative formula for medium complexions designed to heal bug bites and provides a great coverage hiding all the skin imperfections.
- Boo-Boo is a cream concealer that covers scars and has a really good coverage.
- It is a light weight formula that blends easily and does not smudge.
- It is free from parabens so it is safe for sensitive skins.
- A very small quantity of this concealer goes a long way and hides all the skin imperfections including bug bites, scars, blemishes and acne.
- It does not clog pores making your skin stay oil-free and reduces chances of and bacteria invasion.
- This formula is not waterproof and if your skin is extremely oily you will need frequent blotting.
- It has a thin consistency which is good for use on face under eyes but might not conceal excessive redness.
- It dries as soon as it is applied, so you need to blend it well.
CONS Organic Concealer provides you a great coverage. Besides being a concealer it can be used as a foundation. This robust concealer is ideal for acne and blemished skin.
- CONS concealer constitutes non-Nano Zinc Minerals and Titanium Dioxide that provides extensive coverage without irritating the skin.
- It contains Salicylic Acid, Thyme Essential Oil and Retinol that reduce inflammation associated with acne.
- It comprises of natural ingredients including Shea Butter, Jojoba Seed and Safflower seed oil instead of synthetic silicones.
- It contains Candelilla Wax that does not clog pores and acts as a non-comedogenic product.
- Thyme essential oil present in this product holds anti-bacterial properties.
- It stays for around 4 hours, is water-resistant and is a long-staying concealer.
- Very fair tones might face blotchiness even after applying the lightest shade.
- It has a medicinal smell and is hard to apply.
e.l.f. Concealer is a liquid concealer that is creamy light weight in texture and intentionally pigmented to provide your imperfect skin a great coverage.
- Elf Concealer is light weight thick liquid that ensures a perfect blend and dries quickly.
- It is best suited for use on acne scars, pimples or to hide the small red areas on your skin. It also conceals skin discoloration and dark circles.
- It does not settle on the wrinkles and fine lines while not blocking the pores, helping your skin to stay dirt free and minimizing the chance of cakiness.
- It has a reasonable price as compared to other high-end concealers.
- It is available in different shades so that you can choose according to your skin tone.
- If you do not choose the right shade for your tone you might end up looking horrible or it might not provide you the coverage.
- Oily skins should avoid it as it might make their skin heavy and greasy.
Murad Acne Treatment Concealer has been specially designed with Salicylic Acid to cure acne prone skin and it has proven to be 85% effective in revealing clearer skin.
- This acne treatment concealer contains 2% salicylic acid treatment that provides an anti-acne potential and clears skin gradually.
- It covers well without looking thick as it contains Phenyl Trimethicone which acts as a skin conditioning agent.
- It conceals large pores, redness and inflammation alongside preventing the blockage of pores and the formation of black heads.
- It comes in four different colors and all are workable.
- If you are allergic to ASPIRIN or any of its ingredients do not use this concealer as it might cause itching, hives and swelling.
- Does not last all day and might need frequent touchups.
6. L’Oreal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Concealer
L’Oreal Paris Concealer is a super blendable concealer specially formulated to even out complexion while brightening the skin and covers imperfections.
- This concealer contains Cyclopentasiloxane as an active ingredient which acts as a conditioning agent.
- It is available in 9 different colors which provide a great range of choice according to your skin tone.
- It contains glycerin that helps hydrate your skin and cure oily skin problems including pimples, acne and black heads.
- It does not settle in fine lines and do not clog pores reducing chances of sebum production.
- It covers any zits or dark circles in just one shot.
- It is not free from parabens and might be harmful for sensitive skins in the longer run.
- The broad color range it offers has fewer options for the darker tones.
7. Dermalogica Concealing Acne Spot Treatment
Dermalogica Concealing Acne spot treatment specifically targets acne and pimples, clearing and concealing break outs. It clears excess oil and congestion in the follicles.
- This concealer contains 5% sulfur as an active ingredient which helps in moisturizing and hydrating the skin.
- Sulfur is used to treat acne and other kinds of inflammation as it kills acne-causing bacteria.
- It is a long-lasting concealer that will keep you dry and feeling non-greasy for hours.
- It is a non-comedogenic product and does not let sebum build up on the surface of your skin, reducing chances of break outs and black heads.
- It dries out all the pimples including the severe cystic one.
- This concealer has a very dark tone making it suitable for people having tanned skin. It gives fair skins an orange tint.
- Combination skins might feel dryness on their skin so it is recommended that they should go for one application only.
- Dry skins should avoid as it might cause them a skin rash due to presence of Sulfur.
8. Body Shop Tea Tree Concealer
Body Shop Tea Tree Concealer is an organic formula that can be worn under makeup or without makeup. It helps conceal blemishes and controls oil and shine giving you a smooth porcelain look.
- This concealer has been formulated with tea tree oil which is an essential component in healing acne and drying out pesky pimples.
- It contains beeswax that traps moisture in your skin and acts as a conditioning agent.
- It is a non-comedogenic product and prevents the sebum production to eliminate chances of further break outs.
- It does not clog pores and keep the acne-causing bacteria at bay.
- It has an affordable price.
- It comes as a stick so it is a bit hard to apply and blend.
- It gets cakey on dry skin and dry skins might face irritation because of tea tree oil.
- It does not last long and wears off in 3-4 hours so re-application is needed.
- It has an unpleasant organic smell and might appear orange on fair skin tones.
9. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer
NARS Radiant Concealer uses light diffusing technology and holds multi-action skincare benefits that perfectly hide all skin imperfections to give you a smoother and softer complexion instantly.
- NARS Radiant Concealer is a non-comedogenic product and does not clog pores preventing break outs and black heads.
- It includes a tiny cast of pink for the fair complexions so that it does not appear white on fair tones.
- It is a crease-free formula designed with Dimethicone and glycerin that ensures hydration of your skin and keeps it moist.
- It is fragrance-free and would not cause irritation and redness on sensitive skins.
- It is a long-wearing concealer that does not get cakey and does not smudge off.
- It is paraben-free and alcohol-free.
- If you have an extremely dry skin you might face excessive dryness and your skin might appear patchy.
- If you have an oily skin you might not achieve the desired coverage.
- If you find it hard to blend you need to moisturize your skin before the application.
10. Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage SC-3
Laura Mercier Concealer comes with a unique feature that is not offered by the other on the list. It is a unique two-shade system in which one shade is to match the skins depth of color and the other is to adapt the skin’s undertone.
- Its two-shade camouflage system lets you customize a suitable tone for your skin portions to hide and conceal.
- It is best for hiding dark circles under eyes as the camouflage system lets you even out the dark circle and the other shade blends it with your skin tone.
- It is extremely long-lasting. You can have an 8 hour wear without powdering the concealed area if you have combination skin.
- It does not look cakey despite its thick and creamy consistency.
- It can cover hardcore skin imperfections such as cystic acne, nodules and pustules.
- Its application is very tricky, so mix the two colors with the help of a brush and apply by feather-like strokes and blend well.
- If you have waffle-skin, dry skin or slightly dry skin you might find it cakey and lines will be visible.
11. Clinique Acne Solutions Clearing Concealer
Clinique Acne Clearing Concealer is a medicated formula that helps prevent acne and blemishes and clears out pesky pimples. This product is designed as a three way formula that can be used alone, under makeup or for touchups.
- Clinique Acne Solutions Concealer is controls the sebum production leading to clear pores preventing acne.
- This product contains Butylene Glycol as its active ingredient which is a skin conditioning agent that also provides anti-aging properties and makes your skin look young and radiant.
- It is a three way formula that can be used alone for a natural look, under makeup to make it stay long and for touchups.
- It is great at hiding dark circles and other imperfections on your face.
- It includes a green tint to visually correct the redness and clears acne.
- It is a bit hard to blend so make sure to moisturize your skin before or use a primer underneath.
- If you have combination or dry skin, the traces of the concealer might settle into fine lines.
- It includes fragrance so it might cause allergy to sensitive skins.
12. Clinique Acne Solutions Clearing All Over Clearing Facial Treatment Oil Free
Clinique Acne Solutions Facial Treatment is also one of Clinique’s anti-acne formulas especially designed for oily skins. This product consists of one of the most essential ingredient used in treating acne.
- This Clinique formula uses 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide as its active ingredient that helps clear acne.
- Benzoyl peroxide unclogs skin pores reducing the chances of sebum production and oil building in the surface of the skin.
- It also helps in eliminating bacteria growing and causing acne, nodules and pustules.
- It has a very pleasant smell.
- It does not cake or settle into fine lines and has a very smooth texture.
- All those who have combination skin might face their skin drying out.
- Since this is a medicated formula, if it comes in contact with your eye brows, it might bleach them.
- It is not fragrance-free so if you have sensitive skin it is recommended not to use this product.
13. Too Faced Cosmetics Absolutely Flawless Flexible Concealer
Too Faced Cosmetics Concealer vanish skin imperfections and discolorations alongside removing stubborn dark circles on your face giving you a flawless skin to flaunt.
- This product contains Hydrogenated Polyisobutene as an active ingredient. It is an emollient and moisturizer and prevents water loss from skin to keep it hydrated.
- It contains natural botanical anti-oxidants including Vitamin A, E and Chilean tree bark extracts that combat puffiness and maintains elasticity.
- It blends all the fine lines and wrinkles due to the presence of peptides and hyaluronic filling spheres that specifically enhance the under eye hydration.
- It is a flexible creamy concealer that blends easily and provides maximum coverage.
- It is safe for sensitive skins and does not contain any irritant.
- If you have combination skin you might experience heavy and greasy feel as this product is best for dry skins.
- This product is difficult to blend due to its consistency and if not applied in a proper way it might give your face creases.
- It is a bit high in price.
14. CoverBlend Multi-Function Concealer
Coverblend Multifunction Concealer adapts to all the needs when it comes to giving a perfect skin. This formula goes a long way when it comes to dark circles, acne and skin aging to provide you a sheer coverage.
- CoverBlend Concealer contains Cyclopentasiloxane as an active ingredient that is a skin conditioning agent and does not dry your skin making it look smoother.
- It is a multi-function concealer and hides all the dark spots whether they are blemishes, acne scars or rough skin.
- It minimizes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on your face.
- It contains Polyhydroxy Acid Gluconolactone that improves your skin tone and diminishes the aging signs on your skin giving you a natural glow.
- It does not block the pores reducing the chances of sebum building in your skin to cause you acne and break outs.
- This product has a poor range of shades that might not be suitable for every complexion resulting in a very low coverage.
- This concealer can be drying so it is better to use a moisturizer or a primer first.
15. L’Oreal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Makeup
L’Oreal Paris True Match Concealer is designed with patent technology to match and even out your skin complexion both in terms of tone and texture. Unlike other on the list this concealer also provides sun protection.
- True Match Concealer contains 3.01% Titanium dioxide as the active ingredient that is a lubricating and whitening agent that helps maintain the moisture of your skin.
- Titanium dioxide does not pose any threat to your sensitive skin as it is not an irritant or an absorber.
- This concealer includes sun protection with an SPF-17 that protects you from UVA and UVB radiations and minimizing the excess oil production on skin reducing acne and black heads.
- It nourishes your skin with Vitamin A and C, wheat germ and grapefruit extract.
- It is an ultra-pure formula that is free from oil, pore fillers and fragrances making it suitable for sensitive skin as well.
- It comes in 30 different shades which provide a broad spectrum range to choose according to your skin tone.
- It contains parabens that might cause irritation if you have sensitive skins or if you are allergic to parabens.
- Oily skins might feel greasy and heavy and this product will settle in their fine lines and crease.
16. Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer
Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer provides an extensive coverage that would not leave creases on your face and would not settle in fine lines giving you an ultimate blend.
- This is a high-performance concealer that is infused with Tarte’s maracuja oil that helps improve skin texture and maintains the moisture content.
- It contains Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides as an active ingredient which is a mixed trimester derived from glycerin and coconut oil. It works as an emollient and replenishes your acne skin.
- It acts as a long-wearing foundation if you have combination skin.
- It is a non-comedogenic product and does not block your pores eliminating the excess sebum production factor to give you acne and blemish free skin.
- It is odorless and does not cause irritation to sensitive skins.
- This product is hard to blend as it has a thick consistency so apply with a brush with fine strokes.
- If you have dry skin you will definitely crease out so it is better to moisturize first or apply a primer.
17. Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer
Make Up For Ever Concealer as the name suggests is a long staying concealer that hides acne scars, skin discolorations and even the most extreme imperfections including severe skin damage, hyperpigmentation and even birthmarks.
- This cover concealer contains Polyglyceryl-3-diisostearate as an active ingredient which is an emollient and helps keep your acne prone skin clean.
- This is a comedogenic product and does not lead to oil production on your skin that does not cause anti-causing bacteria to thrive on your skin.
- Since, this is a long-wearing concealer; it does not melt off even in the humid climate with minimum crease.
- This concealer can be worn without a foundation and it fully covers all the zits, bumps and redness on your skin.
- It is fragrance free and does not cause allergy to sensitive skins.
- If you have very oily skin you might face problem during the application as it is thick and hard to blend and dries quickly.
- It does not fully cover your scars if you have extremely oily skin.
- It is not paraben-free.
18. Hourglass Hidden Corrective Concealer
Hourglass Hidden Corrective Concealer is a creamy light-weight formula that easily blends on your skin and hides all the dark spots, acne scars, dark circles and redness giving you a perfect finish.
- Hourglass Concealer contains Glyceryl Triacetyl Ricinoleate as its active ingredient which acts as a skin conditioning agent and emollient.
- It has a creamy texture which makes it easy to apply and blend.
- It is a non-comedogenic product and does not let sebum build inside your pores causing you to break out.
- It contains Beeswax and Candelilla Wax that carries anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help you skin heal to the most.
- It does not contain scent.
- This product appears too thick for the eye area so it might cake and settle into fine lines.
- If your eye area is extremely dry avoid using this product as it causes dryness under eyes.
- It has a very short shelf-life after which it smells waxy.
19. NYX Cosmetics Concealer
NYX Concealer is a super concentrated light-weight concealer that provides medium to heavy coverage and leaves your skin with a natural matte finish that lasts all day long.
- This concealer covers up all the blemishes and red marks on your skin while hiding minor skin discoloration.
- It contains Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides that acts as an emollient and makes your skin moisturized and helps maintain its elasticity.
- It is a long-wearing concealer that needs periodical touchups if you have oily skin.
- A very less quantity of this concealer provides you the desired coverage or impact.
- It does not cling to dry patches, does not get caked and does not clog pores.
- It does not contain fragrance so it is safe for sensitive skins.
- It is not paraben-free and silicon-free and has its subtle side effects in the long run.
- If not blended properly it gets creased, it gives better results when applied with finger tips or warm it into hands first.
- You need to match the different shades and use the ones suitable for your skin tone, although the range is short.
20. Bobbi Brown New Creamy Concealer Kit
Bobbi Brown Concealer kit has been proven effective for instantly covering and concealing dark circles. This kit includes a pressed powder that helps the concealer provide a matte look and last long.
- Bobbi Brown concealer has been cleverly formulated with a sand creamy color that brightens your dark circles in the most natural way.
- The setting powder adds a nice highlight to the face that helps in maintain an even complexion alongside hiding minor skin imperfections.
- It is a non-comedogenic product and does not promote sebum production that leads to reduced acne and fewer break outs.
- It is free from fragrance so it is safe for sensitive and allergic skins.
- It does not oxidize and get cakey unblocking your pores.
- If you have dry skin this product will do very less hiding your dark circles and instead this concealer will settle into fine lines and crease.
- This product is expensive as compared to others.
So, which of these best concealers for acne prone skin are you going to try? Do you have any personal recommendations you like to share? Please add your thoughts in the comments below!