We all wish for beautiful skin that radiates health and a glow that is admired by friends and family. Unfortunately if you have skin that is prone to acne, open pores, blackheads and pimples, then that wish can become a very distant reality.
In many cases the underlying reason is that you have overly sensitive or oily skin. In either case, a build-up of oil and exposure to environmental factors can quickly cause pores to block. This will create the perfect breeding ground for bacteria that are the main cause for the common inflammations you see with acne.
One of the best things you can do to prevent these outbreaks is to get into at least a daily routine of using toner and astringents. Prevention is always the better solution, and this is why it works so well.
With the right toner you can very gently remove impurities and oils from your skin. It’s even more gentle than the most pH neutral soaps you find. Once you have removed the impurities, you’re ready to apply an astringent which is a chemical that causes pores to contract.
The result is clean pores that are less susceptible to becoming clogged. But the important thing is that you have to find the right products for your skin type. And that’s exactly what you will find on this page.
Top 3 - Editor's Picks
If you're in a rush, below are the top 2 best Toners and Astringents for Acne-Prone Skin.
Best For Oily and Combination Skins.
5 / 5
Best For Oily and Combination Skins.
4.5 / 5
Best for: Since its all-natural so it goes with all skin types, but works best with oily skin.
4.0 / 5
Table of Contents
- Top 3 - Editor's Picks
- Does a Toner for Acne Prone Skin Work?
- 20 Best Toners for Acne Prone Skin
- 1. Misumi Pore Purifying Toner
- 2. Exposed Clearing Tonic
- 3. Christina Moss Naturals Organic Facial Toner
- 4. Super C-22 Toner
- 5. Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel Alcohol-free Toner
- 6. Neutrogena Rapid Clear 2-in-1 Fight & Fade Toner
- 7. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Clarifying Solution Facial Toner
- 8. Murad Clarifying Toner
- 9. Alba Botanica Acnedote, Deep Clean Astringent
- 10. GLYTONE Acne Clearing Toner
- 11. Biore Blemish Treating Astringent
- 12. Mary Kay Clear Proof Blemish/Shine Control Toner
- 13. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Micro-Exfoliating Astringent Facial Toner
- 14. YEOUTH Facial Toner, Hydrating Face Toner
- 15. Clean & Clear Brand’s Essentials Deep Cleaning Astringent
- 16. TreeActiv Balancing Herbal Toner
- 17. NeutrogenaClear Pore Oil Eliminating Astringent
- 18. Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner
- 19. Burt’s Bees Natural Acne Solutions Clarifying Toner
- 20. Clear n Smooth Pore Cleansing Toner
- New Addition: Ocean Mineral Toner
- New Addition: Retseliney Acne Facial Toner & Oil Control
- Your Thoughts?
Does a Toner for Acne Prone Skin Work?
Toners help in clearing acne because usually different toners and astringents contain Salicylic acid and Glycolic Acid acne medication that helps in keeping blemishes, whiteheads and blackheads at bay. Wearing a toner alone will help if your acne condition isn’t severe otherwise you should strictly follow cleansers with toners.
These are the key points to consider while choosing a toner for acne prone skin:
- Avoid toners that comprise heavy amounts of alcohol as it can be abrasive and burn out your skin.
- Avoid toner with synthetic fragrances especially if you have a sensitive skin.
- Choose toners that contain Salicylic Acid or Glycolic Acid.
- Always prefer the ones recommended by your dermatologist.
20 Best Toners for Acne Prone Skin
Taking all these benchmarks into account, we have chosen and reviewed 20 best tones and astringents for acne prone skin that have stood the test of time and are working great in 2017.
So, without further ado, let’s dive in!
Finally a product that lives up to its hype! Misumi’s Pore Purifying Toner is a must-have in any acne-treating skincare regimen. After a good cleanser, we highly recommend closing your pores with an excellent toner like this one to protect your skin and prevent future breakouts. Pore Purifying Toner tightens your pores and balances the skin’s pH level. An unbalanced pH level can lead to wrinkles, inflammation, and acne.
Developed by one of the world’s leading dermatological chemists, this product is an advanced composition of safe and natural ingredients including Witch Hazel Extract, Lavender, Sage Leaf, Lemon Peel Extract, and so much more. (Seriously, their ingredient list is incredible.) It effectively unclogs pores and controls oil production, leaving the skin feeling soft, calm, and refreshed.
- Tighten pores
- Shields the skin from impurities and environmental contaminants
- Contains witch hazel which helps to kill bacteria within the skin, calm inflammation and reduce blemishes
- Balances pH level
- Reduces blackheads and whiteheads
- Lavender Extract helps to reduce acne scarring and uneven skin tone
- Sage Leaf Extract helps to regulate oil production and manage oily skin
- Guilt-free: cruelty-free, no animal testing, no parabens
- 60 Day 100% Money-back guarantee
- Not suitable for individuals who are allergic to witch hazel.
- Apply with a cotton ball after cleansing.
For optimal results, pair Misumi’s Pore Purifying Toner with AHA 10% Skin Perfecting Cleanser. The two miracle-workers will help you achieve visibly clearer skin in two to three weeks.
Misumi also offers a 60-day 100% money-back guarantee policy so you can try them absolutely risk-free!
Exposed Clearing Tonic penetrates deep in your pores removing all the dirt and grease from your face leaving it clean, refreshed, soft and supple.
- This toner contains Salicylic Acid as active ingredient which stimulates the dead cells on the surface of the skin to shed leaving your skin clear, acne free.
- It contains ingredients that control redness and inflammation including Salicylic Acid and Glycolic Acid which is famous for treating fine lines, acne, black heads and oiliness.
- It comprises of Benzyl peroxide that kills acne-causing bacteria and cures blemishes alongside preventing future break outs.
- Natural botanical herbs including green tea extract, passion flower extract, aloe and sage leaf extracts are a perfect blend to keep your skin calm.
- This tonic is free from parabens.
- This toner contains fragrant oils so avoid use if you are allergic to Parfum or if you have a sensitive skin.
- If you have combination or dry skin this toner might dry your skin so you definitely need to moisturize afterwards.
Christina Moss Naturals is in this business for 16 years, and they’re well-known for producing high quality organic products. This Facial Toner from CMN helps balance your skin’s PH levels and gives it an oil-free gentle look.
- 100% natural ingredients, free from skin damaging harsh chemicals.
- Removes the excess oil on your face, which gives your skin a clean and nourished look.
- It is also infused with anti-aging and skin nourishing ingredients like Aloe Vera and Green Tea Extract.
- This product contains non-drying, anti-inflammatory healthful ingredients which are safe to use for sensitive skin.
- Fairly expensive. For this price, the bottle is small in size and has a little amount of liquid.
- If you’re allergic to essential oils, this might cause problems for you.
Super C-22 Toner has been inspired by the nourishing power of citrus fruits including 22% Vitamin C and hence the name, C-22 that instantly leaves your skin energized and refreshed.
- Since this toner contains 22% Vitamin C, it is very effective in fighting the signs of aging such as spots, wrinkles, fine lines and discoloration. This is the only toner on the list providing the highest percentage of Vitamin C.
- This super toner contains power-cleansing ingredients such as hazel and MSM that help your skin in getting rid of all sorts of dirt particles, dead skin and acne-causing bacteria.
- In order to avoid any harm done by the super-cleansing components, many natural anti-oxidants like grapefruit seed, rosemary seed extract, green tea, Vitamin E and carrot oils have been added to balance the effect.
- It greatly restores and maintains the pH of the skin that allows the skin to remain clear and acne-free.
- This is an alcohol-free astringent.
- Sensitive skins should apply this once a day as this toner is infused with great quantity of Vitamin C which is acidic and can be drying although it is gentle. You should follow with a moisturizer.
- If you have dry skin, this toner might cause you a skin rash or might peel off your skin.
Thayers Rose Petal Toner is enriched with the essence of rose water that supplies your skin with all the vital properties ranging from anti-oxidant to anti-aging that gently nourish your skin while pampering it with exquisite floral scent.
- Thayers toner contains organic Aloe Vera as a major constituent and Aloe holds anti-bacterial, ant-septic and anti-inflammatory properties that are all good for your acne-prone skin.
- It contains un-distilled witch hazel extract which is a potent anti-oxidant that cleans and moisturizes your skin and has a soothing effect.
- Glycerin is also a major component of this astringent adding a humectant and moisturizing factor for the skin.
- It is free from alcohol and parabens making it suitable for you if you have sensitive skin.
- It is infused with soft rose fragrance which is pleasant and refreshing.
- It has a very thin consistency so it might get a bit messy during application. You should apply it with the help of a cotton wool.
- Witch hazel extract can be skin aggravating so if you have a sensitive skin it is better to check out for any allergic reactions first.
Neutrogena Rapid Fight and Fade Toner use Microtechnology to fade out acne and reduce blemishes in just 8 hours. It is also believed to minimize the post-acne marks giving you a clearer and even-toned skin.
- Neutrogena Rapid Clear toner constitutes Salicylic Acid as an active ingredient which is a potential component in treating acne.
- It has been formulated with glycolic acid in order to speed skin cell exfoliation to provide you a blemish free skin.
- This toner removes oil from your skin and prevents excess sebum production that does not allow any dirt or bacteria to thrive on your skin.
- Due to its Microtechnology this toner helps you get rid of acne faster than any other on the list, making it really effective for applying before special occasions.
- It fades away any hyperpigmented scars, acne marks, post acne marks and spotty skin.
- It contains denatured alcohol and parabens that can be harmful for your skin.
- It contains strong fragrance so it might irritate the sensitive skins.
- It might leave your skin super dry and flakey so you need to work out on the frequency of application.
- If you have oily skin it might leave your skin greasier than before resulting in break outs.
La Roche-Posay Effaclar Clarifying Solution is specifically developed to clear clogged pores and uneven skin that is a result of dirt and sebum build on the surface cells of the skin.
- This formula contains 0.5% Salicylic Acid acne medication that helps reduce blemishes and prevents further break outs.
- This toner is comprised of Glycolic Acid that penetrates deep into pores removing pore-clogging debris and gives your skin a smooth texture.
- It is paraben-free and does not cause redness and irritation on your face.
- It does not contain Parfum that might cause allergy or get abrasive on sensitive skins.
- This toner maintains the elasticity of the skin by swaying away the dead cells on the skin and leaving your skin refreshed.
- If you have combination skin you might feel dryness on your skin. Reduce the amount of applications you do every day.
- If you have dry skin you should try to avoid this as it might be too harsh and abrasive for your skin.
- This formula contains alcohol that is potentially harmful for your acne prone skin.
Murad’s Clarifying Toner is a crisp formula that removes impurities from your oily and bothersome acne prone skin without causing irritation while illuminating your skin.
- Murad’s toner contains witch hazel extract as its main ingredient which helps in tightening your pores without causing dryness and reducing potential for acne-causing bacteria.
- It contains Allantoin which is a soothing and healing agent for skin that calms irritation and also promotes cell regeneration maintaining the elasticity of the skin.
- It also constitutes Algae extract that regulates excess sebum production eliminating chances of breakouts and blemishes.
- It is rich in anti-oxidants containing Grape Seed extract and Vitamin E that protects from free radical damage.
- It contains glycerin which is effective in curing oily skin problems like pimples, acne and black heads. It also fills the microscopic pores making your skin silkier and smoother.
- Although witch hazel tightens pores and eradicates bacteria, excessive use of this extract can cause allergic reaction leading to scratchy and irritated skin. Make sure you aren’t allergic to it.
- Due to the presence of glycerin it might make your oily skin greasier despite making it clean.
Alba Botanica is known for providing 100% natural skin care products since 1979 and one of these products is Alba Botanica Acnedote deep clean toner that helps prevent breakouts and leave your skin fairer and clearer.
- Alba Botanica’s toner consists of 2% Salicylic Acid that helps cure your acne-prone skin and prevents further break outs and blemishes.
- It contains Aloe Vera and glycerin that deep cleans the pores and minimizes the appearance of the pores making your skin flawlessly smooth.
- It gently cleans and has a long lasting effect curing skin disorders like rosacea, cystic acne and psoriasis.
- It contains 100% natural ingredients that have been extracted from different botanical plants including matricaria, lavender, rhizome, licorice and willow extracts.
- It contains no parabens, phthalates or synthetic fragrances.
- It has a very reasonable price.
- Although it is a natural product it also contains a little alcohol and has a pore shrinking effect when it is merged with other ingredients that might dry out your skin.
- This can increase hyperpigmentation on your skin if you have sensitive skin.
- It has a naturally derived botanical smell that many of you might find unpleasant or stingy.
Glytone Acne Clearing Toner is specifically formulated to cure acne by removing impurities and detoxifying your skin giving you an even complexion.
- Glytone toner contains Salicylic Acid that cures and heals your acne as it dissolves the skin debris that makes your skin pores clog and regulates the skin cells to dissolve keratin plugs.
- This toner contains benzalkonium chloride which provides anti-bacterial properties that helps the skin fight different infections and acne-causing bacteria.
- It gently exfoliates the skin and removes any sebum or oil building up inside the pores and minimizes the appearance of pores eliminating the chances of bacteria being trapped in the skin.
- It contains acetone that can irritate or cause redness on your skin if you have a sensitive skin and dry out your skin.
- It contains alcohol that can also dry out your skin.
- It has a very high price as compared to other products on the list.
Biore Blemish Treating Astringent treats blemishes and purifies your skin to make your face look and feel clear and glowing at its best.
- Due to the presence of fundamental ingredient in healing acne, Salicylic acid, this toner treats pimples effectively.
- This astringent controls oil and shine because of which the pores are not clogged or blocked making your skin to breathe and keeping harmful acne-causing bacteria at bay.
- It contains skin conditioning agents that do not let your skin dry out alongside the presence of absorbents that regulates sebum production.
- Even a single application per day gives you a clean and clear skin which makes it really effective for your skin.
- This product contains alcohol so avoid using it if you have sensitivity to alcohol toners or if you are a sufferer of rosacea.
- It has a strong medicinal smell.
- It can be drying for you if you do not have an oily skin.
Mary Kay Clear Proof Toner is a great combination of ingredients that help you in eliminating all the factors that build up toxins on your skin leading to a glowing and smoother skin.
- Mary Kay’s toner contains Salicylic Acid which is a must in treating acne and heals all the post acne marks and blemishes right away.
- It tones the skin without over-drying your skin and gently cleansing it to remove excess oil and dirt settled inside the layer of skin.
- It contains Dimethicone which is a skin protectant and improves the texture of your skin.
- This toner is good for aging skin as it contains Salicylic Acid that promotes the shedding of the dead skin cells and makes your skin look younger and maintains its elasticity.
- This toner does not clog pores and minimizes the appearance of your pores making your skin look smoother and silkier.
- It does not contain any fragrance and so it is safe for those who are allergic to Parfum or have sensitive skin.
- This astringent contains alcohol denat and should be avoided by those who have sensitivity to alcohol.
- Since, it contains silica and Dimethicone it might be very greasy on oily skins and might cause them to break out.
La Roche-Posay Micro-Exfoliating Toner is specially designed to visibly minimize your pores by deeply cleansing them and swaying away any grease, dirt or bacteria that might be thriving on it.
- This micro-exfoliating astringent has been formulated with LHA (Lipo Hydroxy Acid) that provides micro-exfoliation to help tighten the pores making your skin soft and supple.
- It contains Glycerin as an active ingredient that efficiently blends into your skin and fills the pores or rough surfaces of your skin giving your skin an even texture.
- The presence of glycerin also ensures the hydration of your skin and helps your skin in maintaining its elasticity.
- It also consists of Salicylic Acid that helps in curing acne or any pesky pimples on your face.
- It contains very subtle amount of fragrance that would not bother you or make you feel unpleasant or stingy.
- It contains alcohol denat in substantial amounts so you must avoid it if you are super sensitive to alcohol or suffer from alcohol allergy as it can cause burning and blotchiness.
- It does contain fragrance though in a very little amount but if you have a very sensitive skin it is better that you avoid it.
YEOUTH Facial Toner combines all the essential ingredients required to make your skin look and feel young. The most significant part being that it uses all natural products to give you a flawless skin!
- Yeouth toner contains Butylene glycol as it active ingredient and it acts as a kin conditioning agent that regulates and maintains the hydration of your skin flushing out any toxins or acne-causing bacteria present.
- It also contains Allantoin that is a moisturizing agent that heals and soothes your acne-prone skin to give you a clearer skin.
- This astringent comprises Chamomile flower extract that possesses anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties and it eradicates the chances of your skin breaking out due to invasion of pimple-causing bacteria.
- This product is hypoallergenic as it neutralizes the skin irritants to provide you allergy free skin.
- Due to the presence of Alcloxa the mild astringent and anti-microbial properties of Aluminum salt and the anti-irritant property of Allantoin are combined together.
- If you have very oily or very dry skins you might not achieve the desired result and your skin will appear oilier.
- It contains the derivatives of alcohol and might be abrasive if you have ultra-sensitive skin.
- It needs to be followed by a moisturizer for better results.
Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astringent has been formulated for normal and oily skin alongside following the acne treatment regimen that involves Salicylic Acid.
- Clean & Clear toner contains Salicylic Acid, the acne medicine that targets existing pimples and prevents any future break outs.
- This toner is an oil-free formula and does not lead to sebum production and grease building onside the top most layer of your skin.
- It deep cleans pores and does not clog them reducing the space for acne-causing bacteria to rest and spread acne, white heads and black heads.
- It contains Dimethicone which hydrates your skin and maintains its elasticity.
- It contains 41% alcohol which is a sufficient amount to cause you any adverse reaction if you are allergic to it.
- If you have sensitive skin this might be abrasive or too harsh for you.
- Apply three times a day can be very drying initially so start with one application per day.
- It also contains fragrance that might cause redness on sensitive skin.
TreeActiv Balancing Herbal Toner is a purely herbal formula that penetrates deep into your skin and exfoliates it minimizing your pores and giving you an overall perfect and clean skin.
- TrreActiv toner due to its herbal nature is suitable for almost all types of skins and is the only one in the list that is best for Combination, dry and sensitive skins.
- This astringent contains the power formula witch hazel extract that helps in eliminating acne, reducing inflammation and balancing the sebum-production on your face.
- This toner frees you from bags and puffy eyes as it improves the skin tone by firming the skin and combating dry skin.
- It contains rose water that has anti-inflammatory properties that helps you stay blemish-free and soothes the redness and irritation.
- The presence of clary sage extract fights bacteria that causes break outs and similar conditions as it holds anti-bacterial characteristics.
- IT also consists of tea tree water which is an essential component in treating acne, white heads and black heads.
- Vitamin A & C along with other anti-oxidants regulate and balance the pH of the skin.
- If you have an extremely oily skin you will not feel any changes after applying.
Neutrogena Clear Pore Astringent mainly targets at eliminating the oil factor from your skin and regulating the sebum-production in order to keep you clean and greaseless.
- Neutrogena toner contains Salicylic Acid as the active ingredient that helps treating blemishes and break outs.
- It contains witch hazel extract that easily regulates the excess oil production on your face and helps soothe irritation and redness.
- Butylene glycol is also part of this toner that acts as a conditioning agent and keeps your skin even-textured.
- It is enriched with the Aloe Vera extract that clears your complexion and makes your skin smooth and reduces inflammation and heals post acne marks.
- Chamomile extract is also added to this toner to provide anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties.
- If you have both oily and sensitive skin, this product might not be of much use to you.
- It contains 45% alcohol denat and you should avoid it if you have sensitive skin.
- This toner is not fragrance-free and can cause adverse reaction or slight burns.
Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner has been founded with the anti-aging ingredients that helps soften the fine lines and wrinkles while smoothing your skin.
- This Glycolic Acid toner helps in accelerating the turnover for a younger-looking skin as it rejuvenates your skin and fills the fine lines and wrinkles.
- The glycolic acid present helps in penetrating even the smallest pores and cleaning those treating fine lines, wrinkles, acne, black heads and white heads.
- It also gently exfoliates and reduces dullness giving your skin a fair glow due to the presence of Citrus.
- It is really helpful in discarding hyperpigmentation.
- This product contains parabens that might be harmful for you in the long run.
- It is expensive for the results it delivers.
- It is not fragrance-free and can cause allergic reactions.
Burt’s Bees Acne solutions toner is a natural formula that gently exfoliates your skin and nourishes it to provide you with a long-lasting smooth skin.
- Like many others on the list this astringent consists of Salicylic Acid for the treatment of acne, blemishes and pustules.
- It contains glycerin that helps in maintaining the even texture of your skin and fills the larger pores and minimizes their appearance highlighting a silkier skin.
- Due to the presence of willow bark extract the shedding of dead skin cells is stimulated and this helps in clearing your skin and pushing away any trapped bacteria inside the layer of your skin having potential to cause acne.
- It is a non-comedogenic product and controls oil and shine on your face.
- This toner contains alcohol and might be abrasive for sensitive skins.
- It is not fragrance-free and can cause adverse reactions on your skin.
- If you have oily skin, avoid it due to the presence of glycerin.
Clear n Smooth Pore Cleansing Toner is an anti-acne formula that helps you in getting rid of those stubborn blemishes and pimples by deeply cleansing your skin pores.
- This toner clears acne, black heads, pimples, bothersome blemishes and shaving razor bumps and is meant for all including teens, men and women.
- This astringent squeezes your pores and wipes out any greasy residue present inside so that the bacteria does not have any food source to thrive on leading to the elimination of acne.
- This formula contains Salicylic acid like others that promotes the breaking of dead cells breaking the space for any residue to settle inside.
- It gently exfoliates the skin and gives you a healthier, age-defying and youthful glow.
- This can also be used as a makeup remover.
- This astringent is comprised of denatured alcohol and might be harsh on sensitive skins.
- It leaves a pungent smell after application.
New Addition: Ocean Mineral Toner
Ocean Mineral Toner is a perfect combination of minerals that help boost your skin proteins and gradually lead to a clearer and fairer skin eliminating acne.
- This astringent contains Rose distillate that is fairly responsible for providing your skin with anti-inflammatory and healing properties.
- It boosts the skin proteins collagen-elastin that maintains the elasticity of your skin minimizing wrinkles and fine lines to a great extent.
- Witch hazel extract purifies and hydrates your skin regulating the pH of your skin and maintain it to the required level reducing chances of sebum-production.
- The presence of Aloe Vera and Glycerin increases the ability of the skin to absorb moisturizers, oils and serum leaving very low amount settled on the skin reducing chances of break outs.
- It does not contain synthetic fragrance.
- It might get foamy on your combination skin due to the presence of skin surfactants.
New Addition: Retseliney Acne Facial Toner & Oil Control
Retseliney Acne Facial Toner is specifically designed to treat the oily acne-prone skin giving you a naturally glowing skin through its natural range of ingredients.
- Retseliney’s astringent is a natural anti-blemish formula that helps in deep cleansing the skin and wiping out any greasy residue trapped inside your pores.
- The natural yet powerful ingredients of this toner include Lavender extract that helps healing pimples, Witch hazel extract that helps in tightening pores and Willow bark that acts as a great anti-septic.
- Botanicals like clove, Juniper and Cayenne helps in controlling the sebaceous gland production and eliminates the colonization of bacteria.
- This astringent is free from parabens, phthalates, alcohol and fragrances and purely organic.
- This is the highest rated in the list with 4.7 rating.
- The only con it possibly has is that its price is high but quite reasonable for the advantages it provides.
Which toner for acne you’ve decided to try? Do you know of any great name I haven’t mentioned here in this post? Please share your thoughts in the comments below!