Being a teenager is difficult enough between school, sports and personal life. Adding acne to the mix just results in more stress, low self-esteem and in many cases even painful outbreaks. The problem is that acne most commonly affects teens and can last for many years throughout puberty.
Suffering in silence or just blindly trusting TV and magazine advertising is the worst thing you can do. There are very specific triggers for acne and in the majority of cases they can be kept at bay with some simple cleansing and treatment products.
The first thing you need is a gentle cleanser to remove impurities and oil from your pores. These are what trigger the acne and the faster you can remove them the less likely your skin is to overreact.
It’s slightly more difficult to naturally get rid of bacteria in your pores that are the main cause for the really bad puss filled pimples. One fantastic option is to use a tea tree based product due to its natural anti-bacterial effect.
To help you find the best teenage acne treatment we have put together the below guide and product recommendation that are available over the counter. They have proven highly effective and you should definitely try adding them to your daily routine.
What You Will Learn in This Post:
- According to experts, which is the best acne treatment for teens?
- How long does puberty acne last?
- What are the options for treating teenage acne?
- 10 best tested and proven acne products for teens you can use today.
Top 2 - Editor's Picks
If you're in a rush, below are the top 3 best Acne Treatments for Teens.
Best For Oily, normal, and sensitive skin.
5.0 / 5
Best For All skin types, including sensitive skin.
4.5 / 5
Best For Oily, normal, and sensitive skin.
Best For All skin types, including sensitive skin.
Table of Contents
- What You Will Learn in This Post:
- Top 2 - Editor's Picks
- Asking Experts: What Makes the Best Acne Treatment for Teens?
- How Long Does Puberty Acne Last?
- What Options do You Have For Teen Acne Treatment?
- 10 Best Acne Treatment Products for Teens That Actually Work
- 1. Exposed Facial Cleanser
- 2. Keeva Organics Tea Tree Oil Acne Cream for Teens
- 3. X Out by Proactiv
- 4. Neutrogena Visibly Clear Oil-Free Moisturizer
- 5. Anti-Blemish Pore Refining Scrub
- 6. Dermalogica Clear Start Breakout Clearing Kit
- 7. Philosophy Clear Days Ahead Salicylic Acid Cleanser
- 8. Origins Super Spot Remover
- 9. Coalface Charcoal Facial Cleanser Bar
- 10. Clinique’s 3-Step Routine
- New Addition: Tea Tree Cool and Creamy Wash
- Wrapping Up
- What’s Your Favorite Teenage Acne Treatment?
Asking Experts: What Makes the Best Acne Treatment for Teens?
Cleansing is Essential:
“Skin needs to be cleansed effectively every night and morning,” says Dr. Rabia Malik, skin specialist practicing in Grace Belgravia, London. She also emphasizes to use products free from sulfates, alcohol, and fragrance so that you don’t further irritate your acne prone skin.
Pore Opening Ingredients:
Dr Mervyn Patterson suggests using products that contain witch hazel or salicylic acid so that you loosen up the buildup of dead skin cells, excess oil and dirt in your pores that cause acne.
Avoid Dryness / Irritation:
Dr Toni Phillips, Clinical Director at DestinationSkin, recommends avoiding products that cause dryness on your skin. Because as a result of using such products, your skin naturally produces more oil which leads to further pore clogging and whole host of other nuisances on your skin.
Tanning is a Complete No-No:
“Tanning needs to be completely avoided,” says Dr. Patterson. In your teens, it’s easy to take your healthy skin for granted and believe it is indestructible.
However, this often results in more damage to your skin than you can imagine. Protection from the sun is just as important during your teenage as during any other period of your life.
How Long Does Puberty Acne Last?
This is a question that often comes into our mind. And there’s a simple answer to this, “As long as you let it stay.” But how can anyone ever want to let acne ruin their complexion?
You might wonder. Well, there’s no denying to this fact. But the sad reality is that very few of the teenagers are willing to let go of their favorite junk food, bad/unnecessary habits (scratching, picking and popping pimples), and their regular cleanser or soap bar designed for ‘regular’ skin types.
Untreated acne during teenage can last up to 4-5 years before settling (sometimes even longer than that). If you don’t want to let it happen, you have to change your direction.
When you’re suffering from teenage acne, you need to follow a skin care regiment consisting of products that are specially designed to fight acne from its roots (the sebaceous glands). Products that utilize the proven anti-acne ingredients (as suggested by experts) to make your skin clearer and smoother over time.
What Options do You Have For Teen Acne Treatment?
There are mainly two routes you can choose to start fighting your teenage acne today:
- Use acne fighting cleansers
- Use complete acne treatment kits
If you’re only having the few pimples here and there, the first options works just fine – and it’s pretty economical too (good acne cleansers usually cost around $5-$15). For moderate-severe acne conditions, acne treatment kits (such as Exposed Skin Care) are most effective. This is due to the fact that the more stubborn your acne is, the more intense and systemized treatment it requires for complete eradication.
Taking into account all these factors we’ve discussed so far (and more), we’ve developed a list of carefully selected acne treatment products for teens that are proven to bring in positive results in shortest amount of time.
So, without further delays, let’s discover these…
10 Best Acne Treatment Products for Teens That Actually Work
Go through this whole list and you’ll find it extremely easy to identity teenage acne products that tailor to your skin type and acne condition.
You’ve all heard of Proactiv, haven’t you? For quite a long it’s been considered as the #1 at-home over the counter acne treatment system. How many products does it contain? Only 3. Enter Exposed Skin Care. The basic kit it offers contains 5 products, and the ultimate kit contains as much as 9 individual products. You can’t simply ask for a more comprehensive acne treatment than this. And the combination of proven scientific ingredients with nature’s time-tested skin healers makes it a perfect choice for a young teenage skin.
- Due to its full coverage product line, it is capable of treating even severe forms of teenage acne.
- Does not use any active ingredient (either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid) in strong concentrations, and each product contains their natural counter parts, which makes it suitable for even sensitive skins.
- Each component of the Product is made in the certified facilities in North America, which gives it a clear edge on the quality side.
- Backed with a solid 30-day guarantee.
- Makes your acne worse in the first couple of weeks of use. But it gradually clears ups over time.
- Doesn’t clear your skin forever and requires continuous usage to maintain clear skin.
Teenagers should always prefer natural formulations over highly medicated ones. Because during this age, your skin still hasn’t matured enough to manage all the harsh chemicals.
That’s why, this natural acne treatment cream from Keeva Organics is going to be a great option for you.
Active Ingredient: Tea tree oil.
- Employs tea tree oil as a natural anti-bacterial agent to fight acne causing bacteria and prevent acne breakouts in future.
- Works for all types of acne, including hormonal, bacterial, and cystic acne.
- Does not leave your skin excessively dried, neither it peels off your skin’s natural oils.
- Leaves for skin soft, clear, and fresh.
- Not prone to side-effects.
- Single jar doesn’t last for long, so it’s not a cheap option.
- Results are not seen overnight, it will require regular use to get full benefits.
- Not suitable if you’re allergic to tea tree oil.
Proactiv came up with X Out to specifically target acne problems teenagers face. It is a dermatologist prepared acne treatment that claims to wash away all the acne from your face quickly and effectively. X-Out is popular for the ‘icy slap’ menthol effect it leaves after you wash it off your skin, which according to the manufacturers, is testament to the fact that it works even after rinsing off.
Active Ingredient: Benzoyl Peroxide (8.5% prescription grade). Other ingredients include Polyethylene beads, Linoleic Acid, Glycerin and Menthol.
- One step procedure to rid the face of acne.
- Can be used as a face mask, as a spot treatment cream or as a normal wash in product.
- Specially designed for teenage skins.
- Contains benzoyl peroxide that fights acne and has other oils and ingredients that make it soothing and gentle on the skin.
- Other benefits also accompany ingredients like Linoleic Acid and Glycerin that replenish oils and nourish the skin with moisturizes.
- High price.
- Leaves the skin dry, not the best option for sensitive skins.
- Rubber like smell.
Note: There are a lot of complaints about X-Out’s pricing policy that I have to mention this. Buying X-Out can leave you paying a lot more than you intended. So, please pick up the phone and cancel your subscription before the next month of usage if the product doesn’t suit you.
4. Neutrogena Visibly Clear Oil-Free Moisturizer
This is the one that that is miles apart from the rest in terms of pricing. But that’s not all that has made it to our list. It sinks into the skin nicely, and leaves your skin smooth and hydrated without leaving grease son your skin. And given the fact that it’s carefully crafted for oily, acne prone skin – this is a great choice for teenagers looking to add a decent product to their anti-acne regimen.
- Makes a good base for makeup.
- Just a couple of weeks’ usage can pour in positive results.
- Takes care of skin inflammation caused by acne, helps minimizing pain caused by acne lesions.
- Can also work for rosacea prone skin.
- Doesn’t cause excessive oiliness on the skin.
- Not the best option for sensitive skin. Can produce burning sensations.
- Has a strong chemical scent, the problem most of Neutrogena line has.
5. Anti-Blemish Pore Refining Scrub
If you’re after a natural solution to your teenage acne problem, this Pore Refining Scrub from Burt’s Bee’s is your go-to choice. The main benefit of this product is that it contains 99% natural ingredients. It uses naturally derived salicylic acid (directly from Willow Bark Extract) for effective pore penetration. Addition of Jojoba Beads and a natural Fruit Acid Complex makes exfoliation of dead skin cells easier and refines the appearance of skin pores without causing over-drying.
- Some of the rare products that use micro beads from natural sources (unlike a lot of products that use plastic micro beads).
- Has a pleasant earthy smell.
- The convenient bottle makes it easy to dispense and makes efficient use of the product.
- Leaves your with skin a soft and smooth sensation.
- The presence of fruit acid complex makes it a bit more tingling to be tolerated by a sensitive skin.
- Not oil free. If you already have an oily skin, might leave your skin with even more oil.
6. Dermalogica Clear Start Breakout Clearing Kit
Dermalogica has a strong medical background which makes it a go-to resource for the most concerned skin care enthusiasts around the world. Ever since its inception, it has maintained a reputation of producing skin health focused and irritation free products. These are some of the few facts that make it a great choice for teenagers suffering from acne. This Breakout Clearing Kit is composed of 5 mini sized bottles of different products including a moisturizer, cleanser, daytime and nighttime treatment, and a toner.
- Standalone acne treatment system, fights acne from all angles and provides your skin with complete treatment plan.
- Perfect choice if you’re looking to get into a skin care routine that can transform your skin over time.
- Specially designed for the skins of teenagers and young adults.
- Can be an overkill if you only have a few bumps here and there. This multi-dimensional acne treatment kit is best suited for face full of acne.
- Can be over-drying and itchy for sensitive skins.
- Doesn’t work in a flash. It require continuous usage to see visible results.
7. Philosophy Clear Days Ahead Salicylic Acid Cleanser
This is one of the most popular products from Cristina Carlino’s Philosophy brand. The company has a reputation of only using proven scientific ingredients that can take good care of your skin regardless of its type. If you’re salicylic acid fan, you should consider this product.
- 1% salicylic acid treatment is just perfect to fight pimples without leaving your skin excessively dried.
- Good fit if you’re fighting occasional acne breakouts.
- Best for daily usage. The added moisturizer soothes your skin and helps minimizing fine lines.
- Formulation is conveniently lightweight, unlike its closest rival from Paula’s Choice, which is thick and heavy on the skin.
- There are cheaper options available if you’re looking for a salicylic acid (BHA) based acne treatment.
- Has a big dispensing hole that makes it difficult to minimize waste of product.
- The added moisturizer is not enough to cater skin dryness caused by the winter.
8. Origins Super Spot Remover
Dab it on a cotton bud, apply it directly on your acne spots, and leave overnight. This Super Spot Remover from Origins will dry up your existing pimples and speed up your skin rejuvenation process – thanks to the presence of salicylic acid and witch hazel. Moreover, it contains caffeine and red algae that are both excellent for providing immediate relief from redness and inflammation.
- Can provide overnight relieve from acne spots.
- One bottle lasts long as you only need it in small amounts against your acne breakouts.
- Using this spot treatment consistently can give pimples a hard time coming back.
- Can also help with acne scarring, not the severe type for which chemical peel or seeing your Derm would be better options.
- Not suitable for sensitive skin.
- Can cause excessive dryness.
- Bleaches everything it touches; your pillow, clothes, or bedding.
9. Coalface Charcoal Facial Cleanser Bar
Well, it’s true that an odd, black, charcoal soap might not be the coolest thing to cleanse your face with, but in terms of capability, this Coalface Cleansing Bar is a true cleansing powerhouse in your palms. Charcoal has proven properties for soaking up excess oil/sebum from the skin and working as a mild exfoliator.
- This charcoal bar doesn’t cause much irritation as you might expect, for Lush has a reputation for producing nasties-free products.
- Has slight earthy, sandalwood like scent that isn’t too strong to bother anyone.
- Doesn’t leave your skin with a greasy feel.
- Has a slight scrub to clear away debris from your skin without making it overly dried.
- Can be irritating to sensitive skin.
- Doesn’t remove makeup nicely.
- Has a licorice like smell that wouldn’t fancy most of us.
10. Clinique’s 3-Step Routine
Clinique’s 3-step routine is one of classic skin care formulations available on the market today. It was released back in 1968, and is considered Clinique’s founding concepts. This anti-acne kit has been popular ever since because it was one of the first to introduce allergy-tested and fragrance free range that was developed by dermatologists themselves.
- The cleanser leaves skin clean, fresh and free of acne causing bacteria.
- Exfoliator removes dead skin cells and further debris from the skin.
- Moisturizer adds much needed nourishment and leaves your skin with a soothing sensation.
- Tailored to specific skin types.
- Not a cheap option for a teenager to go with. But if you’re a parent looking for a treatment for your kid, this might just make the perfect present for them.
New Addition: Tea Tree Cool and Creamy Wash
Tea tree is a great natural alternative to replace anti-bacterial properties of benzoyl peroxide in an acne treatment. Salicylic acid has excellent pore opening, exfoliating properties that work extremely well against stubborn acne. This Tea Tree Cool and Creamy Wash from The Body Shop ticks both these boxes.
- Penetrates deep into your skin and removes any dead skin or sebum residues that might be clogging your skin pores.
- Has a delicate creamy texture that does a good job at removing makeup.
- Unlike most foaming cleansers, this will not strip moisture away from your skin.
- Can be irritating, specially if you’re not accustomed to tea tree extracts on your skin.
- The tea tree smell is dominant in the wash, which you might not find pleasing.
This brings an end to our run down of the best acne treatment products for teens available on the market. I will keep updating this most with more and more better options, so that you can make the best decision based on your specific teen acne condition.
What’s Your Favorite Teenage Acne Treatment?
Want to suggest an inclusion to this post? I’d be glad to hear your thoughts in the comments below!