Got Acne on Your Back? That’s Nothing to worry about.
Because of the pain and anxiety it brings, back acne (a.k.a. Bacne) is an extreme nuisance to have. But there’s nothing unnatural about it, as most teenagers and young adults take it. Moreover, you can absolutely get rid of it in short period of time if you succeed at finding the best back acne treatment products for your skin (which is completely covered in this blog post).
What Makes an Effective Acne Treatment?
Acne is formed when the pores/hair follicles of your skin get clogged with dead skin cells or oil. So, the only place where you cannot get acne is palms of your hands and feet. Because these are the only areas of your skin where there are no sebaceous glands (the parts of skin dermis where hair follicles, oil, and sebum are produced and where the development of acne starts).
The best acne treatment products aim at fighting acne right from this deep breeding ground (sebaceous glands). They utilize proven anti-acne ingredients such as salicylic acid (contains excellent pore opening properties), benzoyl peroxide (fights acne causing bacteria, P.acnes), and others to destroy acne from its roots.
Why You Need Specialized Products for Back Acne Treatment
I don’t need to get extremely technical in explaining you why your back acne products have to be different. Skin of your back, neck, or shoulders is not the same as that of your face. It is thicker, and acne formed on these areas is usually more resistant than it is on your face.
In short, treatments for back acne utilize stronger acne medications to effectively clear the skin.
The following products have been proven to yield best results for back acne treatment time and again.
We’ve already done the hard work of researching about their major upsides/downsides, skin suitability, and specific directions. Now you just need to cherry pick the one you find most suitable for your skin type, and start getting rid of your back acne today.
Let’s get started!
Top 10 Back Acne Products that Actually Work
The main component of Exposed Body Acne Kit is its body wash that contains salicylic acid, glycolic acid and tea tree oil. This unique formulation allows the wash to penetrate deep into your pores, exfoliate dead skin cells, excess oil, and dirt, and make your skin clearer and smoother over time.
- The accompanying Derm-X cloth in this kit is a polyamide microfiber that is especially designed to gently and effectively remove dead skin cells, oil, dirt, or makeup from your skin, without causing irritation.
- Works for all skin types, including dry and sensitive skin.
- Has a good soothing smell.
- Like all other products from Exposed Skin Care, this Body Acne Kit comes with a full 30-day money back guarantee. If you don’t see in changes in your back acne in 30 days, you can fill out this form and get a full refund of your money.
- The kit can cost a bit more than most individual body washes you can buy.
- Salicylic acid + benzoyl peroxide combination doesn’t suite everyone.
How to Use:
- Body wash can be used in the shower. Gently massage over your back (use handled sponge if you find it easy).
- After rinsing body wash off, wet your derm-X cloth and gently massage it over your back (or make someone do it for you). Make sure not to rub it hard on your back.
- Acne Treatment serum is used to take the treatment one step further. You can apply it liberally over acne prone areas of your back and leave overnight. You can do this during the day also. But figure out what works best for you.
- You can repeat this process 3-4 times a week.
Additionally, this detailed official guide on Exposed Body Acne Kit will help you further in using it at its best.
What? Charcoal on your delicate skin? Well, contrary to your intuitive thought, charcoal has been proven to possess some excellent pore opening properties. That’s why this Pore Penetrating Charcoal Bar from Biore has resulted in some excellent feedback from people using it to treat acne on their backs.
- A natural ingredients-based product (though, it’s not 100% free from chemicals).
- Presence of jojoba beads ensure that dead skin cells are completely wiped out of your pores.
- Contains peppermint oil that leaves your skin refreshingly nourished.
- You can also use it as your facial soap, but be sure to keep it off your t-area.
- Good at removing makeup from your face, thanks to the presence of exfoliating charcoal.
- Not suitable for dry and sensitive skin.
- Leaves your skin with a “tingly” sensation, which you may not admire.
- For back acne treatment, use it under the shower at least 3 times a week. Make sure to leave it on your skin for 2-3 minutes before washing off.
- If you’re using it as a facial cleanser, make sure to avoid contact with your eyes.
These Clearzone body pads have been carefully developed for the treatment of acne on face and specially, your body. The most prominent ingredient in these pads is salicylic acid, which proven to fight acne by clearing your skin pores of oil, dead skin, and dirt. The presence of glycolic acid ensures that your skin gets smoother and healthier over time.
- Active ingredients are included in proportions that are just enough for fighting acne effectively, without the expense of over dryness.
- Contains green tea extracts and witch hazel, which are both time-tested moisturizing botanicals.
- Helps minimizing existing back acne and prevents further acne from developing.
- Can be over drying and itchy for sensitive skin.
- Doesn’t being instant results (unlike Exposed Body Kit with a 30-day guarantee).
How to Use:
- Cleanse your skin before applying Proactiv Clearzone Pads.
- Now, gently wipe your back (or any other affected areas of your body) with pads.
- Use a clean wash cloth to further wipe out the remaining oil, dirt from your skin.
- Do not use it on your face or it will dry the hell out of it.
People have been raving over Africans soaps over the past couple of years, and not for any unjust reasons. The unique, natural formation of these soaps has got people’s likings from all over the world, and their major usage is not only limited to Africa now.
- Doesn’t just work for back acne, but you can also use it as your regular skin cleanser.
- Lathers nicely in your hands.
- Removes makeup easily from your skin.
- Free from fragrance and harsh chemicals.
- Even helps people with eczema.
- Not as gentle as you might expect. Can dry out and even burn sensitive skin. So, use with care.
- It is soft, and has some hard bits and bobs in it (being a raw, African soap), which aren’t super convenient and might cause irritation.
How to Use:
- Do not apply this African black soap directly on your back.
- Lather up nicely with a sponge or loofah and then apply it on your back.
This specially formulated body wash from Humane utilizes maximum strength benzoyl peroxide (10%) acne medication that penetrates deep into your skin, and fights acne bacteria to banish acne on your back right where it starts.
- Manufactured and process in USA (no imported formations).
- Does not contain artificial fragrance, and it’s also free from parabens.
- Won’t just fight your back acne, but can also help minimizing your acne scars.
- Comes with a convenient pump at the top, which makes it easy to use bit sized amount of this wash for each application – hence, one bottle goes a long way.
- Can’t be used as a facial cleanser for people having sensitive skin.
- Can be problematic for you if you’re allergic to benzoyl peroxide.
- You have to thoroughly wash it off your back or it will leave a thin film on your skin.
How to Use:
- Use at least once a day in shower for effective back acne treatment.
- Can be used twice a day (AM and PM) for maximum results.
- Keep off your clothes as benzoyl peroxide can bleach them.
You can use this 360° acne treatment spray from Murad to fight acne wherever it occurs. It utilizes salicylic acid in its most gentle (0.5%) concentration to make sure that your skin pores are effectively penetrated and are made completely free of dead skin cells, excess oil, and dirt.
- The triclosan and salicylic acid duo is especially formulated to fight acne causing bacteria, as well as open your clogged skin pores. This ensures that you don’t just get rid of your existing acne, but also prevent future breakouts.
- Contains skin conditioners that help keep your skin hydrated.
- The 360° tagline literally means that you can spray it from any angle (even upside down), which makes it very convenience to target even the most hard-to-reach areas of your skin.
- Works well for teenagers and adults alike.
- Can turn out to be expensive for regular use.
- Requires continuous usage to obtain and maintain clear skin.
How to Use:
- For back acne treatment, use it right after taking the shower.
- Spray it liberally over acne prone areas on your back.
- Although, 3 applications daily are recommended for maximum impact, you should really start with one application daily (due to probable dryness), and then gradually increase frequency.
Body acne does very well at affecting your self-esteem and body image. And this Botanical Body Soap from Mario Madescu does even better at keeping your back acne at bay. One of the very few back acne products on the market that utilize natural formulations for keeping your skin clear and healthy.
- Utilizes grapefruit and papaya to exfoliate dead skin cells, excess oil, and dirt off your skin.
- Presence of ginseng promotes skin rejuvenation, whereas oat protein soothes sensitive skin areas and prevents irritation.
- The natural herbal/fruity smell is a major upside for many, not sure if that’s true for you?
- Can even help getting rid of skin tags.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) aren’t suitable for all skin types. So, make sure you’re not allergic to any of these before buying this product.
- It can even make your skin burn if it is too sensitive.
How to Use:
- Can be used daily on all areas of your body (specially recommended for acne on chest and back).
- You can use a mesh sponge or washcloth to apply it over your back.
- If it causes extreme dryness, you can apply a good quality lotion on your skin.
Derma Topix has maintained a good reputation in the skincare industry with their successive lines of effective anti-aging and acne treatment products. This maximum strength benzoyl peroxide (10%) wash is developed to penetrate deep into the skin, fight acne causing bacteria, and remove dead skin and excess oil. It also keeps your skin smooth and nourish (thanks to the presence of aloe vera extracts).
- Specially formulated with strong medication to fight stubborn acne on your back, chest, and shoulders (can also be used as a facial cleanser, but with caution).
- Can bring positive results in short span of time – most users didn’t have to wait for months to clear their skin.
- Has been proven to work well for adults suffering from acne.
- 10% benzoyl peroxide treatment is often harsh on sensitive skins – bringing nuisances like burning, dryness, or itching.
- Contains fragrance, which isn’t too strong.
How to Use:
- Use in a warm shower. Gently message over acne product areas on your back. Allow it to penetrate your skin for 2-3 minutes, and then rinse it off.
- If it dries out your skin, you can use a good quality body lotion to cover that up.
If you want to take advantage of maximum strength benzoyl peroxide treatment in the feel of a convenient foaming wash, this product from PanOxyl should be your way to go. The strong 10% concentration of anti-acne active ingredients always has its upsides and downsides. However, based on overall sales stats across different states, PanOxyl Foaming Wash is rated #1 consumed product in drug class of trade/drug stores in the US.
- High concentration acne medication is proven to be effective against back acne treatment, and can fight even severe forms of acne.
- All dermatologist recommended ingredients are used.
- A great deal if you’re looking for an economical option.
- Can cause excessive dryness or irritation.
- Not suitable for dry and sensitive skin.
- If used without care, benzoyl peroxide can stain/bleach your clothes before you can notice.
How to Use:
- Apply on a cleansed skin (for back acne, use it under the shower).
- Massage liberally on your back and leave it on for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse it off afterwards.
- Keep it far away from your eyes.
This medicated spray from glytone uses a potent formula that features deep clearing of the pores and prevention of new acne blemishes on shoulders, chest, and the back. This complexion-clearing spray contains salicylic acid (2%) to clear away dead skin cells and open your clogged skin pores.
- One of the best back acne treatments containing salicylic acid as an active ingredient.
- 360° spray nozzle of Glytone Back Acne Spray allows you to apply medication from any angle to hard to reach body areas.
- Proven to work against stubborn acne on your back.
- Due to the efficiency of a spray, this product goes a long way and turns out to be a good value for your buck.
- Capable of improving your back acne condition in a short period of time.
- Whether you’re a high school teenager, work at home mom, or a professional, this product can help banish acne on your back.
- Strong fragrance smells almost like pure alcohol. It’s so potent that you’ll have to hold your breath when spaying it, else you’ll catch cough or find trouble taking your breath.
- Can leave your skin dried out. If extremely bothersome, you’ll have to use a body lotion afterwards.
- Smell is a big issue with this product. And it’s worth mentioning again. Do not buy it if you can’t bear strong clinical smells.
How to Use:
- Spray directly on your back, preferably after taking a bath.
- Let it try on your back before putting clothes on.
- Works best with 2-3 applications daily. But start off with 1 application per day and then gradually increase.
What is the best back acne treatment product you’ve ever used? Planning to use any one of these products and have more questions? I’d love to hear what you have to say in the comments below!