There are some good reasons why you should prefer homemade facial marks for acne over those fancy products available on the market.
First and foremost, you have full control of which ingredients you want to use. This means, if you know that any particular ingredient never really works out for you (or, even worsens your skin), you can just skip ahead and look for another great recipe.
Secondly, you’re in the hands of mother nature. Unlike those conventional OTC products you find on the store shelves, these homemade acne facial masks would contain less-to-no synthetic ingredients. They’re all natural, which essential means that the odds of getting adverse side-effects from these facial marks are quite low.
So, let’s not wait any further. Here are these…
10 Best Homemade Facial Masks For Acne
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Mask
This is one of the simplest home remedies for acne you will find. It is also one of the most effective. If you really wish to ensure that your skin stays as clean as possible, you absolutely must use apple cider vinegar. It will effectively help unclog your pores in just a few days.
It is, however, vital that you do not use too much apple cider vinegar on your skin as you could be running the risk of completely drying it out which will cause all manner of problems.
You are not going to need too much here. Just two ingredients:
- Apple cider vinegar. You can get this from your local health food store, or you can order it here on amazon.
- Fresh water.
- Start by washing your face with water.
- Mix up your vinegar and water mix. You should ideally have 3 parts water to every 1 part water.
- Now, dab this mixture on your skin.
- You should have this acne mask on for about 10 minutes before you wash it off.
Most people will use their apple cider acne mask a good few times a day. I believe three is the magic number. You can make up a good quantity and use it throughout the week if you wish.
2. Cinnamon and Honey Mask
This is a surprisingly good combination. Honey is absolutely fantastic as an antibiotic. It keeps your pores nice and healthy. Cinnamon is a fantastic antimicrobial. Together, they’ll make it extremely hard for blackheads (open comedones) to reside on your skin. Most people find that the cinnamon and honey mask is a good combination when acne has started to seriously get out of hand.
You just need honey and cinnamon for this. Mix up a pinch of cinnamon into a dollop of honey and you should be good to go. There are no specific quantities that you are really going to need to pay attention to.
- Rub the honey and cinnamon mix onto your skin.
- You should leave it in place for around ten minutes before washing it off.
- When it comes to washing it off, do make sure that you have got every last drop because if you don’t, your face is going to become incredibly sticky and a breeding ground for all manner of foul things.
You can repeat this twice a day for best results.
3. Milk and Honey Homemade Facial Acne Mask
This is another honey recipe. Many people will tell you to steer clear of milk because that is a prime cause of acne, which it sometimes can be.
However, you only really need to worry about that if you are actually consuming the milk. If you are using it on your skin, it actually makes it look a whole lot healthier. This is because there is an acid in the milk which has antibacterial properties which, therefore, helps to take out all of that bad stuff in your skin, which is going to be highly beneficial when you are cleaning out your pores.
- 1 tablespoon of high-quality honey.
- 1 tablespoon of full fat milk. If you wish for something a bit easier to work with, you can also use full-fat natural yogurt.
This is something which works best at room temperature, if only to stop your skin from becoming irritated by the cold.
- Mix up everything in a little bowl.
- Now, use a cotton pad to apply it to your skin.
- You should leave the acne face mask on for about 15 minutes.
- Use a decent cloth to wash it off because the stickiness of the honey is going to lift up all sorts of dead skin cells.
4. Egg White Acne Wash
This is actually a bit of an ‘unconventional’ treatment for acne. Most people do not actually use egg whites, simply because they do not know how effective they are. They are absolutely brilliant for keeping acne at bay though. This is because there is all sorts of nutrients and proteins in egg whites which are perfect for helping to rebuild damaged skin. It also attracts oil, which will keep those pores clean.
You only need some egg whites here. Three should be fine. Obviously, make sure they are separated from the yolk.
- Make sure your face is completely clean.
- Whisk up your egg whites. They should be frothy.
- You can then apply this mixture to your face. You want the face mask to be reasonably thick so do not be afraid to whip up a few more egg whites if need be.
- Leave the mask on for about 20 minutes before you wash it all off.
- Make sure you moisturize afterwards in order to avoid dry skin.
5. Papaya Facial Acne Mask
If you look at the ingredient list of just about any major beauty product for the skin nowadays, you will most likely find that it includes papaya. This is because papaya is incredibly beneficial to the skin. It helps to get rid of all of those dead skin cells. It also removes all of that awful oil which is clogging up your pores. To cap it off, papaya also has anti-inflammatory properties, which is incredibly ideal for those who are currently dealing with inflamed skin.
You just need one papaya. You should mash up the papaya well. You want to leave the food item out for a few hours. It will start to develop a thicker consistency which means you can start to apply it to your skin.
- Once you have papaya in place, just apply it on your clean face. The mask layer should be thick.
- Now, leave this mask on your face for about 20 minutes.
- Make sure you clean it off well with warm water afterwards.
This is a recipe that you can use once or twice a day, depending on the severity of your acne.
6. Orange Peel Face Mask for Acne
Orange is one of the best citrus essential fruits. This makes it a dab hand at fighting off all of that awful bacteria in your skin. In addition to this, it is packed with Vitamin C. This is exactly what you want.
Vitamin C is brilliant at combatting bad skin cells. It is even better at promoting the growth of new skin cells. Basically, if you use an orange peel face mask, you are going to end up looking absolutely brilliant in lesser amount of time.
The best part? You will only be using the peel here. This means you will be able to eat two delightful oranges before you apply the orange peel face mask to your face.
- 2 orange peels.
- That’s it.
Make sure you have completely cleaned your face with warm water. This will open up the pores and ensure that there is the minimum amount of grease on your face as possible.
- Grind up your orange peels until they are a paste.
- Some people like to add water at this stage. It makes it a bit easier to apply to your skin.
- It should be on the skin for about 20 minutes before you wash it off.
- It is important that you apply a moisturizer as this acne skin mask is notorious for drying out skin.
7. Tea Tree Oil Acne Mask
This is another face mask which includes an ingredient which is suitable for all manner of different ailments.
Now, obviously, you want to be getting as little oil on your skin as possible. Don’t worry, this is not a ‘bad’ type of oil. It actually helps to dissolve all of the extra bad oil on your skin. It also makes it a bit easier for you to remove those dead skin cells. To cap it off, tea tree oil is brilliant at killing bacteria.
You just need a small bottle of tea tree oil. You can get this from your local health food store. I prefer Organic Tea Tree Oil from Apothecary Extracts though.
- Clean your face completely.
- Mix up the tea tree oil and water in a 1:9 consistency.
- You are not going to be making an actual face mask with this. Instead, you are going to be applying the combination to just the more problematic areas of your face.
- You should have it on for about fifteen minutes before you wash it off.
Once you’ve got tea tree oil in your home, you can take also look at these other effective ways to use tea tree oil for acne.
8. Strawberries and Honey Acne Face Mask
We are back to the honey for this one. You already know the benefit of honey. You do not know the benefits of strawberries.
If you have ever looked into dealing with acne, you will be more than aware that salicylic acid is one of the best ingredients for it. You will, therefore, be pleased to know that strawberries and honey are high in this acid. It is great for cleaning out your dead skin cells, getting rid of that bacteria, and quelling inflammation. If you use this mixture, you will be promoting healthy skin, which is just what you want.
- You will need at least three strawberries. Wash them incredibly well under running, cold water as you do not want to run the risk of bacteria being on them.
- 2 teaspoons of the best raw honey you can find.
- Mash everything together.
- You can throw the mixture in a blender if you want. Make sure you just pulse the mixture though. If it is too runny, it is not going to be good for applying to your skin.
- It should be sitting on your skin for about 20 minutes.
I suggest that your moisturize afterwards to prevent the skin from becoming too dry.
9. Banana Peel Face Mask For Acne
This is one of the best home remedies for acne. All you are going to need is some banana peel. The component of the peel that we are interested in is called lutein. This is an antioxidant which is known for its ability to reduce inflammation in the skin. It also has the side benefit of boosting skin cell growth. It is not going to be completely eliminate your acne, but it is going to make the problem a whole lot easier to deal with.
You just need a banana peel. You do not need the banana, so feel free to eat that. It is pretty tasty!
- You should rub the banana peel over your skin.
- Try to get a decent amount of coverage. You may even need to use two bananas.
- You should leave this acne face mask on for about 30 minutes before you rinse it off.
If it dries out your skin, you can use a good quality moisturizer to get it under control.
10. Aloe Vera Face Mask for Acne
Aloe vera is, of course, an ingredient used in all kinds of natural remedies. There are a number of face masks out there which call for the use of aloe vera. These face masks are great and all, but it is cheaper, and sometimes more effective, to use the aloe vera on its own. The main reason as to why you are going to be using aloe vera is the fact that it will kill any bacteria in the skin. In addition to this, it will get rid of any inflammation, which can be quite serious when you are dealing with acne.
You are just going to need some aloe vera gel here. Make sure you get the purest gel possible. The more additives there are, the more likely it is to mess up your skin.
- You do not need to apply the gel to every part of your skin.
- Instead, just apply it to the areas which seem to give you the most acne trouble.
- Let it get absorbed on your skin. You don’t necessarily need to wash it off.
Do not use too much of it though, you don’t want it to dry out your skin.
Over to You!
This brings us to the end of this blog post. Use any one of these best homemade facial masks for acne today, and you’ll definitely see positive results pouring in.
Have anything in your mind regarding this post? Share in the comments below!