Body acne is extremely annoying. It’s stubborn, it’s painful, and it damages your outlook. You’ve made a good decision by considering a specialized body wash for acne treatment on different areas of your body.
People try accutane or even surgeries to get rid of acne on their body, but they fail to realize that getting rid of it can be as simple as using an acne body wash!
This post is contains all information to get you started in the right direction, RIGHT NOW.
The Misery of Body Acne
Concealing body acne is both easy and painful at the same time. Hiding it might boost your confidence, but the itchy scratchy patchy feeling might be killing you on the inside.
Like when you’re wearing your favorite full sleeve polka dot top and suddenly you feel the need to slip your hand for some clawing that can be quite embarrassing.
Besides, bacne (a fancy way to call acne on your back) can lead to severe scars that can be easily irritated by sweat and clothing. Treating bacne becomes more difficult than normal acne because the ones suffering from it might feel too embarrassed to talk about it and due to this they might fail to get proper treatment early.
This can lead to situations as severe as resulting in painful pus-filled lesions. And apart from this, it can be a great confidence crusher. Hence, it is important to take acne medications and to develop a healthy skin care regimen.
Acne Body Washes to the Rescue
A body wash removes the excess oil from your body while unclogging the pores to provide you with a clear and soft skin.
Shower gels, on the other hand, are harsh and less sophisticated and might aggravate your body acne.
Ingredients That Make the Best Body Washes for Acne
The Kkey point to be kept in mind while choosing a body wash for yourself is to keep a strict eye on the ingredients.
Products that contain proven acne medications such as Salicylic Acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, Glycolic Acid, etc can be very effective against fighting acne on your body.
Lather up daily, especially after you have done some heavy job or work out. Use a new washcloth each time, as the acne-causing bacteria might linger on it once you’ve used it.
13 Best Body Washes for Acne Reviewed
Following is a list of body washes which will definitely help you in curing your acne. Although they are all over-the-counter products, it won’t hurt consulting with your dermatologist for using them.
Exposed Skin Care Body Acne Kit is a 3-step treatment that includes body wash, acne treatment serum and Derm-X Body Cloth which is a combination of natural soothing extracts that fight bacteria and improve skin tone and smoothness.
Active Ingredients: 0.5 % Salicylic Acid, a major component in treating acne.
Suitable For: Combination to Oily Skin.
- The body wash is brewed with Tea Tree Oil which is an essential ingredient when it comes to treating body and back acne as it penetrates the skin to unblock sebaceous glands, disinfects the pores and dry out pimples.
- The acne treatment serum includes clinical grade Benzoyl Peroxide gel that effectively kills all the acne bacteria resulting in reduced blemishes.
- It contains Glycolic Acid that helps in getting rid of acne scars and aging by stimulating dead skin cell removal, boosts collagen to increase your skin elasticity alongside exfoliating it.
- It includes witch hazel extract which is a natural astringent that helps in removing excess oil from the skin eliminating acne to a great extent.
- It is free from sulphates and paraben which makes it suitable for sensitive skin as well.
- The body wash and acne treatment serum involves ingredients that regulate oil and sebum production and calms any inflammation.
- This kit does not include any added fragrance that might be harsh for your skin.
- The Derm-X Cloth provided in the kit uses high-quality microfiber to gently exfoliate the acne prone-areas.
- Although witch hazel extract soothes skin irritation, it can also cause irritation if used in greater amounts so if you experience any irritation stop using this product.
- This product is not suitable for dry skin as it might cause more dryness due to the oil regulating components present in the product.
- Gently exfoliate the acne-prone areas using Derm-X Cloth.
- Massage the body wash on wet skin using bare hands concentrating on acne-prone areas.
- Rinse well and use daily in shower or bath.
- Apply acne treatment serum.
The Body Shop Body Wash is a refreshing soap-free formula essenced with Tea Tree Oil which helps get blemish-free skin and creates a thin lather to gently cleanse your skin without being harsh on your acne.
Active Ingredients: Sodium Laureth Sulfate that functions as a surfactant and a skin-conditioning agent creating fine lather and leaving your skin smooth.
Suitable For: Combination to Very Oily Skin.
- The Body Shop Body Wash is fused with Tea Tree Oil which is a believed to be an effective substance when it comes to treating acne as it holds anti-bacterial and anti-septic properties. It acts as nature’s alternative to harsh ingredients.
- Citric Acid and Sodium Hydroxide maintain the pH of your skin.
- It contains Glycerin and other anti-oxidants that help heal your acne-prone skin.
- It visibly reduces the appearance of break outs that provides clearer and blemish-free skin.
- It is 100% vegan i.e. it does not use or contain any animal product.
- It is free from alcohol, paraben and gluten.
- Although, Tea Tree Oil is beneficial for your skin, it can be drying for your skin. If you find it drying reduce the frequency of use.
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate has been proved to cause skin irritation so avoid it if you have sensitive skin.
- This body wash contains strong fragrance that might cause you adverse reactions if you are allergic to it.
- This product is strictly prohibited for use on face as it is designed for body. Use Tea Tree Clearing Facial Wash for your face.
- It is not an instant formula you need to use it regularly for visible results.
- Squeeze onto palms or bath lily and create a fine lather.
- Massage all over body and rinse thoroughly.
- If you feel touch dryness apply a light moisturizer.
- Use daily for visible results.
Murad Acne Body Wash is a well-formulated AHA product that is specifically designed for acne treatment. It penetrates deep into your skin, clears your pores and soothes your irritated skin giving you your youthful look back.
Active ingredients: 1.0% Salicylic Acid.
Suitable For: Oily to Very Oily and Sensitive Skin.
- Murad Acne Body Wash is fused with Salicylic Acid that helps in unblocking your pores to eliminate the chances of sebum and oil build up that result in acne.
- The addition of Glycolic Acid promotes peeling i.e. the removal of dead skin cells from your blemished skin to make it clear and reduce acne scars.
- It contains Glycerin which is a non-comedogenic moisturizer and also possesses anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that clears acne and also heals your skin without making it dry.
- It contains amino acids that boosts your skin’s collagen and provides you a new repaired skin.
- The presence of anti-bacterial agents such as Triclosan removes all the dirt and saves your skin from bacteria invasion.
- It is free from alcohol and paraben.
- This is a vegan product and cruelty-free.
- Shows instant results within two weeks.
- Since, this body wash is a light formula it would not work on your skin if you have combination skin.
- It contains sulfates so avoid using this product if you are allergic to sulfates.
- This body wash has added fragrance (Parfum) which might be harsh on your sensitive skin.
- It is an expensive body wash.
- Apply on damp skin.
- Massage gently and rinse well.
- Pat dry with a soft towel.
Neutrogena Body Wash is a refreshing formula that will energize you while you shower or bathe curing all the acne you have alongside preventing further breakouts and pimples. Blended with grapefruit extract this body wash will provide you a great bathing experience.
Active Ingredients: 2% Salicylic Acid.
Suitable For: Combination to Oily skin
- This body wash contains a coconut oil derivative that acts as a skin conditioning agent that gently cleanse your skin and maintains skin moisture.
- It contains Glycerin which is good for soothing any kind of skin irritation and also helps in maintaining the pH of your skin which helps in eliminating acne. It also keeps your skin moisturized without making it oily.
- Aloe Vera Extract is also included in this body wash and as it has anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties it does not let bacteria thrive on your skin which prevents breakouts.
- It is fused with chamomile extract which inhibits anti-inflammatory effect and is particularly good for the sensitive skin due to its healing nature.
- It contains Citric Acid that is helpful in treating clogged pores, mild acne and acne scars providing you a clear skin.
- It is dermatologically tested and dermatologist recommended.
- It is free from paraben and does not contain alcohol.
- This product contains fragrance and might cause you skin rash if your skin is sensitive.
- If you have combination skin it might cause you dryness.
- Create lather and massage onto wet skin with a body puff or sponge.
- Concentrate on areas prone to breakouts.
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
- Use daily for effective results.
Dove Body Wash is a dermatologist recommended mild, nourishing body wash with a unique blend of moisturizers that help your skin retain its vital nutrients and leaves your skin softer and smoother just after one wash.
Suitable For: Dry and Sensitive Skin
Active Ingredients: Cocamidopropyl Betaine which is used as a skin conditioning agent in various skincare and personal sanitary products.
- Dove Body Wash uses active ingredient that cleanse your skin gently by helping water mix with oil and dirt so that they can be rinsed off and its pH range contributes a mild germicidal effect which makes it a perfect cleansing agent.
- It contains Glycerin that helps heal your acne-prone skin, calm any redness or irritationand provides a soothing effect.
- This body wash is fused with Lauric Acid that has anti-bacterial properties and effectively combats acne.
- Besides, Lauric Acid also helps in maintaining the moisture of the skin as it provides your skin with the essential fatty acids for skin.
- It uses Stearic Acid that holds potential to protect skin’s surface against water loss and act as a protective barrier and does not let your skin dry.
- It can be used on the face if diluted with water.
- It is free from alcohol and paraben.
- Since Lauric Acid is derived from coconut oil, it can cause adverse reactions if you are allergic to coconut oil.
- Due to the presence of several moisturizing agents, this body wash may leave residue on your skin.
- The active ingredient in this body wash has been found to cause allergic reactions such as itching and burning in some individuals previously.
- It includes fragrance which is not good for your sensitive skin.
- Squeeze onto a damp sponge or washcloth.
- Work into a rich creamy lather.
- Rinse thoroughly with water.
Olay Total Effects Body Wash is a deep penetrating body wash that has been specifically formulated with Anti-Aging qualities to give you a hydrated skin that shows up smooth every time!
Active Ingredients: Petrolatum which is a skin conditioning agent and traps moisture in your skin.
Suitable For: Combination to Dry Skin
- This exfoliating body wash contains Petrolatum that acts as a moisturizing agent as it forms a film over your skin actin g as a barrier to moisture loss in order to keep your skin hydrated.
- It is brewed with mineral oil to replenish your dry skin and hence saving you from rough, scaly, itchy and irritated skin.
- It includes niacinamide, a Vitamin B derivative that is a must have in your skin care regimen as it allows the reduction of acne and rosacea lesions, reduces sebum production, increases skin hydration and provides a brighter tone.
- Panthenol, one more Vitamin B derivative is added in this product due to its ultra-healing properties that reduce itching and inflammation providing relief to your skin.
- It contains Citric Acid and it is rich in anti-oxidants that give you an instant glow.
- This product is free from alcohol and paraben.
- This body wash contains fragrance that might cause you skin rash if you have sensitive skin.
- This product contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate which is quite likely to cause skin irritation.
- It contains mineral oil which is comedogenic and might cause you to break if you have combination skin.
- Squeeze a small amount onto a damp puff.
- Lather and massage thoroughly.
- Rinse well.
Oxy Body Wash is a clinically proven hydrating body wash that stimulates your skin’s defense mechanism against breakouts and blemishes. Brewed with Citric and seaweed extract this body wash provides a refreshing treatment to vanish all your acne scars.
Active Ingredients: 2% Salicylic Acid for the treatment of acne.
Suitable For: Combination to Oily and Sensitive Skin.
- This body wash contains concentrated amount of Salicylic Acid that works best for your skin in unclogging your pores by cleaning all the oil and sebum build up.
- It consists of anhydrous Citric Acid that helps in skin peeling and exfoliates your skin to remove any excess oil or dirt and also acts as a skin lightening agent giving you a clearer and fairer body.
- It uses Glycerin to include anti-bacterial properties in the body wash that keeps your body germ-free and helps in eradicating acne-bacteria.
- Glycerin present also provides moisture to skin without making it greasy and heals any inflammation present on your skin.
- It contains di-methicone that acts as a moisturizing agent and makes your skin smooth.
- It is infused with seaweed extract that provides maximum hydration and skin soothing effects.
- It is suitable for use on the face.
- It is free from alcohol and parabens.
- It contains added fragrance that might be harsh for you if you have sensitive skin.
- If you have very oily skin this body wash might not be very effective for your skin.
- It is suitable for use on face but contact with the eyes must be avoided.
- Create lather and massage onto skin.
- Thoroughly cleanse acne and blemish-prone areas.
- Rinse well and dry with a towel.
Murad Acne Clarifying Body Spray is an instant formula designed in USA that clears your skin preventing further breakouts and blemishes. Rich in skin conditioners, this body spray is easy to use due to its revolutionary 360 degrees spray bottle.
Active Ingredients: 0.5% Salicylic Acid that is effective in the treatment of acne.
Suitable For: Dry to Combination Skin
- Comprising of Salicylic Acid this body spray works wonders for your acne-prone skin. It unblocks your pores giving you a clear skin that maintains its texture and allows your skin to breathe.
- It is brewed with Allantoin which heals any skin irritation that persists due to anti-inflammatory effect and helps in loosening the dead skin cell layer to give you oil and dirt-free skin.
- It includes Vitamin A derivative, Retinol that unclogs pores, boosts collagen to reduce fine lines and accelerates cell turnover to even out the discoloration caused by acne scars.
- It contains Panthenol that is readily absorbed into skin providing it intense hydration and reducing inflammation and redness caused due to dryness and pimples.
- It is fused with menthol that provides cooling sensation to provide relief to your aggravated and irritated skin.
- It comes in a spray bottle packaging that makes it easier to apply in hard to reach places.
- It has a very reasonable cost.
- It is free from paraben and fragrances.
- This product contains alcohol in substantial amount therefore it must be avoided if your skin is sensitive to it.
- If your skin is oily, this product would not dry easily on your skin leaving your skin greasy.
- It is not suitable for use on face.
- Cleanse the skin gently before spraying.
- Spray the affected skin area with a thin layer of spray.
- Allow it to dry.
- Apply once a day and gradually increase the frequency of application.
- If dryness occurs reduce the frequency.
Phisoderm Anti-Blemish Body Wash acts as a skin balancing technology which is a complete treatment for acne as it maintains suitable skin pH and clears all the blemishes giving you a smooth and radiant skin to flaunt.
Active Ingredients: 2% Salicylic Acid as it clears out the present acne and prevents further breakouts.
Suitable For: Combination and Sensitive Skin.
- This body wash comprises of concentrated Salicylic Acid which is believed to be the main ingredient for acne medication due to its pore cleansing properties.
- Glycerin is also added due to its various benefits including providing moisture to skin, healing all sorts of skin irritations and stimulating your collagen levels to give to a younger looking skin.
- Aloe Vera extract present in this formula acts as an anti-bacterial substance that washes all the acne-causing bacteria and protects your skin from bacteria invasion.
- It includes Citric extract to ensure clear and unclogged skin as it speeds cell turnover and also has skin lightening effects to make your skin fairer.
- Chamomile Extract present soothes all the itchiness and irritation present due to acne and pimples.
- It does not contain soap, alcohol and dyes.
- It contains methyl paraben which might be irritating for your skin depending on your skin type.
- It also contains fragrance that might be harsh for extremely sensitive skin.
- It does not work on very oily skins and it might dry out the dry skin causing breakouts.
- Build lather and massage onto skin.
- Thoroughly cleanse areas prone to breakouts.
- Rinse thoroughly.
Proactiv Clear Zone Body Pads are dual-textured easy to use medicated pads with 2% Salicylic Acid to keep all your acne, pimples and blemishes at bay.
Active Ingredients: 2% Salicylic Acid.
Suitable For: All skin types
- Proactiv Body Pads are soaked with 2% Salicylic Acid that helps you in getting rid of all the blemishes as it deep cleanse your pores reducing oil build up and chances of future breakouts.
- It is fused with Glycolic Acid i.e. an alpha hydroxyl acid designed to help exfoliate the skin in turn minimizing chances of bacteria and germ invasion.
- This product has the perfect pH of the solution in which the pads are soaked that allows exfoliation to a great extent.
- It contains Witch Hazel extract that functions as an astringent to remove surface skin oils.
- It is brewed with Allantoin that helps calm skin irritations and promotes cell regeneration for a healthy smooth skin.
- These pads are suitable for use on face.
- It does not contain added fragrance.
- It is easy-to-use on hard-to-reach areas including back of arms, thighs and rear.
- It contains sufficient alcohol which might be harsh for you if you have sensitive skin.
- This product is high on the pockets.
- This product may take some time to show results depending on your skin type.
- Gently wipe the acne-prone area with pad.
- Repeat with a cleaning pad to remove oil and dirt if necessary.
- If dryness or peeling occurs, reduce the application.
Sebamed Face and Body Wash is a dermatologist recommended body wash specifically designed for sensitive skin as it is soap-free and maintains a perfect skin pH giving you an escape from your bothersome acne.
Active Ingredients: Sodium Laureth Sulfate that acts as a skin conditioning agent and is one of the most sensitizing cleansing agents used in skin and beauty products.
Suitable For: Dry and Sensitive Skin
- This body wash is rich in anti-oxidants as it contains derivatives of Vitamin B and Vitamin E that boost your cell turnover and maintain your skin’s hydration.
- It contains Glycerin that holds multiple benefits including moisturizing your skin without making it oily, calming and soothing all sorts of skin irritations and helps in treating mild acne due to anti-bacterial properties.
- It contains the amino acid Lysine that helps fight against acne, cures zits, pimples and black heads and leaves the skin clean and scar free.
- It includes another amino acid called Alanine that is known to balance moisture levels in the skin, thus improving hydration.
- Besides, it uses the naturally occurring amino acid Glycine that forms collagen (maintains the elasticity of your skin) and has a skin conditioning effect.
- This body wash efficiently maintains the same pH as that of a healthy skin i.e. 5.6.
- This is also designed for use on face.
- The claims of suitability of this product for sensitive skin is a bit over rated as it contains all the ingredients that can be abrasive for your sensitive skin such as Sodium Laureth Sulfate (alcohol), parabens and added fragrance.
- It you have extremely oily skin it might be too moisturizing for you and make you breakout more instead of preventing it.
- Moisten your skin.
- Create lather with a small amount.
- Apply to face and body.
- Rinse well.
PanOxyl Acne Foaming Wash has been designed with 10% Benzoyl Peroxide to provide you with maximum protection from acne and pimples. This acne skin care formula gently removes all the impurities from your skin giving you a clear acne-free skin.
Active Ingredients: 10% Benzoyl Peroxide.
Suitable For: Combination to very Oily Skin.
- This body wash comprises concentrated amounts of Benzoyl Peroxide that functions by reducing the acne-causing bacteria and causing the skin to dry and peel thus clearing skin.
- It is essenced with Glycolic Acid that helps in curing blackheads alongside removing dead skin cells from the skin’s surface to reveal a smoother skin.
- It contains the skin conditioning agent Titanium dioxide that helps in maintaining skin’s water balance.
- It uses hydrogenated castor oil that perforates deep into yourskin, fights bacteria development that blocks pores and also softens and hydrates irritated skin.
- Lactic Acid used in the product also combats acne and conceals all the wrinkles and fine lines.
- It contains mineral oils that replenish dry skin and helps in getting rid of dead skin cells.
- It is fragrance-free.
- This formula contains both alcohol and paraben which is not suitable for your sensitive or allergy-prone skin.
- The amount of oil present in this body wash makes rinsing a bit difficult.
- Wet areas that need to be cleansed.
- Apply a small amount and gently massage for 1-2 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
- If excessive dryness occurs reduce the application.
A Girl’s Gotta Spa Body Wash is all you need when you want to pamper your skin with a refreshing, bursting and energizing Citrus Formula that invigorates your skin.
Active Ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice i.e. aloe vera extract known for its healing and anti-inflammatory properties.
Suitable For: Dry skin.
- This body wash is completely organic and chemical-free formula that cleanses your skin and reduces the chances of bacteria thriving on your skin.
- Aloe Vera present in this formula has anti-bacterial properties that minimizes your acne if it is mainly due to acne bacteria and heals the existing acne scars.
- It includes Chamomile extract that holds anti-inflammatory properties which make it suitable for you if you have sensitive skin and also promotes anti-free radical action.
- It contains calendula and comfrey that calms and soothes skin irritation, itching and burning sensation that occurs due to skin dryness.
- It is 100% vegan and cruelty free and does not contain ingredients such as parabens, sulfates and formaldehydes.
- It is also fragrance-free.
- This product is for women only.
- It is not suitable for use on face.
- It smells fruity because of the presence of Citric Acid which might be a bit unpleasant for you if you do not like it.
- As it is a citrus-based body wash, it might cause photosensitivity.
- The bottle needs to be kept away from heat and light.
- Apply to damp skin with a bath sponge or washcloth.
- Create lather and massage all over body. Avoid contact with eyes.
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
- For best results, use daily.
Which one is your favorite body wash for acne treatment? How are you tackling your body acne? Please share your thoughts in the comments below! 🙂